Installing a denford cyclone

All info relating to the Denford Cyclone lathes

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

makman
Hardware/Software: denford Triac (easicnc), Denford Cyclone (tutor)

Installing a denford cyclone

Post by makman » Sat 28 Dec , 2013 9:42 am

I have had a denford cyclone for 3 years now and not managed to plug it in and get going yes. I got as far as plumbing in a rotary 3phase converter and plugging the machine in to find a dead short. Can anyone help with this installation in the south midlands area. Machine seems to be in a1 condition. It's me I'm sure. Help needed please.

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Re: Installing a denford cyclone

Post by Martin » Sat 28 Dec , 2013 14:25 pm

Can you be more specific regarding the dead short?

makman

Post by makman » Sun 29 Dec , 2013 1:32 am

Hi Martin, thanks for your interest?

I bought a new 10 hp phasewave rotary converter and had this wired into its own power/isolator 140a. The converter Burst into life nicely when switched on. There are 5 wires at the side of the cyclone, conveniently marked L1, L2, L3 etc. the 5 pin plug also has L1, L2 etc so I'm assuming they correspond. When I plug the 5 pin plug into the converter and switch it on it trips the isolator switch instantly. A dead short.

Pete.
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by Pete. » Sun 29 Dec , 2013 10:44 am

A dead short into a 10hp converter would probably cause a bit more than a simple trip. Bang/flash/smoke etc. More likely is that you have an earth leakage fault.

I would start by double-checking the plug wiring. L1 L2 L3 are the three phases. It doesn't matter which way round you wire them so long as you get them on the right pins which you correctly surmise are the L1,2,3 etc. The fourth pin in the plug should be marked N for neutral - you certainly don't want a phase wired to that, and it does sometimes happen especially on plugs that have the labels on the pin side as you turn it over and stuff is 'backwards'. The last and largest pin is the earth.

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Sun 29 Dec , 2013 18:25 pm

Does the phase converter have a nuetral?

makman

Post by makman » Sun 29 Dec , 2013 22:17 pm

thanks guys.

the power supply to the converter is domestic. i understand the earthing system is pms. the guy installing the converter had never heard of pms earthing the new independent trip switch supplying the converter, which powers up fine, has a conventional earthing.

i have considered that mixing of earthing methods may be a problem.

o the denford All live lines 123 go to live lines 123 on the converter. Earth goes to the fit pin and neutral to N.

i have a tool post grinder which has only 4 wires. 3 live 123 and an earth. i was going to try this to hopefully hghlite the problem. how does the 4 pin 3phase work with a 5 pin converter?

cheers

makman

Post by makman » Sun 29 Dec , 2013 22:41 pm

i have just plugged in Duplex tool post grinder. works ok.

Pete.
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by Pete. » Mon 30 Dec , 2013 1:35 am

makman wrote:
i have a tool post grinder which has only 4 wires. 3 live 123 and an earth. i was going to try this to hopefully hghlite the problem. how does the 4 pin 3phase work with a 5 pin converter?

cheers
Quite simple, on a 5 pin plug you just have no wire to the neutral pin. Neutral is used for 240Vac. The grinder is just a motor so uses 3 phases but the Denford probably needs 240v for the electronics hence the neutral wire.

makman

Post by makman » Mon 30 Dec , 2013 9:01 am

Thanks Pete.

Understood. I will check again the 5 wires make sure they are connected correctly.