welpeur
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice
Hardware/Software: Mirac 1996
VR Turning

Denford TU150P 0T-C Problem

Post by welpeur » Mon 19 Mar , 2012 19:29 pm

Hi

I have been running batch of parts and in the middle of one cycle, the machine has just suddenly stopped on it's way back to toolchange and the control is flashing <Not ready> and the green ON button is flashing continually.

I've switched the control (and the machine) on/ off a few times but the <Not ready> with green button flashing will not go.

Cannot reset, home, jog etc.

I have no idea what has happened, the machine has been running flawlessly for months.

Ok..further to above I have jogged off using the Axis Limit Override switch and cleared teh alarm. However, the problem is recurring. Not in every cycle but in most. Always with same tool change.

Is this simply the limit switch sticking and requiring a clean or something more profound?

Thanks very much.

Lone_Ranger
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Re: Denford TU150P 0T-C Problem

Post by Lone_Ranger » Mon 19 Mar , 2012 21:53 pm

welpeur wrote:Hi

I have been running batch of parts and in the middle of one cycle, the machine has just suddenly stopped on it's way back to toolchange and the control is flashing <Not ready> and the green ON button is flashing continually.

I've switched the control (and the machine) on/ off a few times but the <Not ready> with green button flashing will not go.

I have no idea what has happened, the machine has been running flawlessly for months.

Ok..further to above I have jogged off using the Axis Limit Override switch and cleared teh alarm. However, the problem is recurring. Not in every cycle but in most. Always with same tool change.

Is this simply the limit switch sticking and requiring a clean or something more profound?

Thanks very much.
If it is always on the same tool position for example tool position 3 have you tried running a program without using that position, if so and all works OK and the lathe has the Italian Barufaldi turret then it is likely to be the rotary switch inside the turret that may need cleaning.
Or even simpler there may be some swarf behind the turret that in one position doesn`t let the turret go fully back and lock, this would also make the rotary switch slightly off position.

Regards
Rob

welpeur
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice
VR Turning

Post by welpeur » Tue 20 Mar , 2012 9:15 am

Lone_Ranger wrote:
welpeur wrote:Hi

Thanks very much.
If it is always on the same tool position for example tool position 3 have you tried running a program without using that position, if so and all works OK and the lathe has the Italian Barufaldi turret then it is likely to be the rotary switch inside the turret that may need cleaning.
Or even simpler there may be some swarf behind the turret that in one position doesn`t let the turret go fully back and lock, this would also make the rotary switch slightly off position.

Regards
Rob
Hi Rob

Thanks for the reply. The issue is that the machine will not return to the home position most times while in tool position 6 prior to changing tool. Say 90% of the time. I managed to run the program this AM .. T1 op first, home, change T6 and perform op, then on the return to home position it falls just short and goes to <Not ready> mode.

Now I don't seem to be able to get it back to home any which way to toolhchange and try omitting the station in a program....

welpeur
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice
VR Turning

Post by welpeur » Tue 20 Mar , 2012 22:46 pm

Rob, can you help me please?

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Tue 20 Mar , 2012 23:04 pm

Yoy could check the following.

1. Coolant inside the toolpost shorting out the 24volts. Depending on what toolchanger is fitted remove the inspection cover & check for coolant.

2. Check out the X & Z axis software limit switches. (Swarf can get stuck under the X axis cover plate)

welpeur
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice
VR Turning

Post by welpeur » Wed 21 Mar , 2012 7:53 am

Martin wrote:Yoy could check the following.

1. Coolant inside the toolpost shorting out the 24volts. Depending on what toolchanger is fitted remove the inspection cover & check for coolant.

2. Check out the X & Z axis software limit switches. (Swarf can get stuck under the X axis cover plate)

Thanks Martin. Will do.

Very quickly, when I check the software limits is it that I can shorten the travel so that it doesn't alarm out, remove covers and clean and then restore settings?

Lone_Ranger
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by Lone_Ranger » Wed 21 Mar , 2012 8:57 am

Have you tried to do tool changes using the MDI ?

If not then home your machine and then try and do a couple of different turret positions and then do one for T6 and physically check that the turret has locked back into position correctly.

I have had similar issues and it has just been a case of taking the toolholder part of the turret off (Barufaldi) and cleaning where it fits on to the turret and also inside the toolholder part itself, it was usually just a build up of old "gummy" coolant and general "gunge" that works it`s way in there over a period of time.

I have never had to personally clean the rotary switch inside the turret so I`m not able to tell you how to do it but I do know of a couple of folks who have done it, one in particular is on ths Forum as "jaycnc", he is a good guy and I`m sure if you look up his profile and send him a PM he will be able to take you through the procedure step by step.

Regards
Rob

welpeur
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice
VR Turning

Post by welpeur » Wed 21 Mar , 2012 9:23 am

Hi Rob

The problem is actually that the machine will not return all the way home so I can't try any toolchange using MDI. It is falling just short.

This does sound like some kind of obstruction but not sure where. I don't think sticking limit switch as that gives the over travel alarm condition.

Toolholders (for Barrufaldi) and interfaces we keep immaculately clean having spent ages making them in first place!

Lone_Ranger
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by Lone_Ranger » Wed 21 Mar , 2012 9:46 am

welpeur wrote:Hi Rob

The problem is actually that the machine will not return all the way home so I can't try any toolchange using MDI. It is falling just short.

This does sound like some kind of obstruction but not sure where. I don't think sticking limit switch as that gives the over travel alarm condition.

Toolholders (for Barrufaldi) and interfaces we keep immaculately clean having spent ages making them in first place!
We seem to be talking about different things here, you should be able to switch the machine on and do a "Machine Zero" operation, then it is at the "Home" position. Are you saying the machine will not home at all from initial switch on ? ?

Now, without running any code other than M06 T01 in MDI you should be able to do a toolchange without moving the turret away from the home position. If that will work on all the other turret positions then try it on T06 and see if it rotates correctly and locks back in properly.

By "toolholder" I mean the big chunk of steel that you put all the tools in, that is what you need to remove and clean inside/behind :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Regards
Rob

welpeur
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice
VR Turning

Post by welpeur » Wed 21 Mar , 2012 16:06 pm

Hi Rob

Yes, toolholder = the big chunks of steel that we made and finish bored in position on the turret. PITA but the machine came without any so we got the drawings and tolerances from one of your guys.

The machine wouldn't home in the tool position (perhaps it was any as I couldn't home to perform a toolchange to check) but fortunately, whatever it was must have cleared this morning as it is fine again. I'd best get the covers off and check the ballscrews for any debris?

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Wed 21 Mar , 2012 16:42 pm

The main cover plate for the X axis is below the toolpost motor & is normall held on with 2x 4mm grub screws. It then slides away from the crosslide.

jaycnc
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by jaycnc » Sat 31 Mar , 2012 9:13 am

From reading this post it would seem there are 2 problems with the lathe.
Problem 1 being the tool changer which sounds like the rotary switch is playing up or on its way out.

Problem 2 sounds like a limit switch on the axis is either full of crap or is also on its way out because your fault is intermittent at the moment but eventually it will do it again and you wont get it to home no matter what you do.
Since november iv gone through 2 Burgess limit switches on the Z axis due to the switch failing and can only draw the conclusion at the switches arnt as good as they used to be but at £24 each its no hard ship to replace for the amount of work i get out of my machines.

Both problems you have is what iv suffered in the past and many more :roll: .