Cyclone alarm 416

All info relating to the Denford Cyclone lathes

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

Emimec
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Cyclone alarm 416

Post by Emimec » Mon 14 Sep , 2009 21:46 pm

My Cyclone, fitted with a 6 station turret, and Fanuc ot, throws up an alarm 416, Z axis position error, usually at the end of a working day. I traced the problem to the large diameter umbillical cord type wiring that comes out of the rear of the slide. This cord is secured by a knurled ring to the slide, and has a 90 deg elbow soon after the fixing point. Despite removing and clean, the problem stays. The way to cure the alarm warning is to manipulate the cable after the bend, so this points to a bad connection, or broken wire. Question is, can this cable be purchased still, before I fumble about trying to find and repair the problem, which is bound to be a pointless waste of time !!
Bob

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Re: Cyclone alarm 416

Post by Martin » Mon 14 Sep , 2009 22:12 pm

Can you post some photos?

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Tue 15 Sep , 2009 8:49 am

I would guess its the fanuc motor encoder cable at fault - I'm positive these can still be bought (possibly even with the blue Honda connectors attached).
http://www.fanuc-spares.co.uk/fanuc-encoders.htm

It'd be worth trying to find any numbers (A86x xxxx) on the cable itself although its possible that Denford made up their own rather than buying the expensive Fanuc cables.
If you could get some cable off somewhere like ebay for a good price it'd be worth just replacing temporarily to make sure that is the fault.

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Tue 15 Sep , 2009 15:02 pm

Yes we used to make all the cables for the pre 21I Fanuc.

Is the 90 deg elbow green?
It may be a length of 20 core screened cable that is requiered.

Emimec
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by Emimec » Tue 15 Sep , 2009 22:18 pm

Many thanks all for the replys. I will take a photo, and look for any numbers as requested, and post later in the week.

I am sure the elbow is green, could be grey in the dim light.
Bob

Lone_Ranger
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by Lone_Ranger » Fri 18 Sep , 2009 12:35 pm

Bob

The 416 alarm is an X axis encoder alarm, from the Fanuc OT-B "Bible":-

>>An error in the position detection system of X-axis pulse coder (break alarm)<<

Here are a couple of photos for you, which of these (if any) is the connector you are referring to??

FYI Plugs and cable are available pretty much next day from Radio Spares, http://uk.rs-online.com/web/ if you fancy making your own up.

Regards
Rob
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Attachments
cyclone cable 02.jpg
cyclone cable 02.jpg (31.7 KiB) Viewed 12416 times
cyclone cable 01.jpg
cyclone cable 01.jpg (57.81 KiB) Viewed 12416 times

Emimec
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by Emimec » Fri 18 Sep , 2009 20:09 pm

Hi Rob
Thanks for the photos.
My mistake, Z axis, it is the plug in the first or top picture.
Interesting that your plug is angled upwards, as opposed to my one, which points downwards, so the cable drags itself along the bottom of the machine, probably causing the problem I experience. I think I would prefer to just buy a new cable if not an extortionate price, time factor is one, hassle of sourcing and then getting the right cables in the right pins is another.
Thanks
Bob

Lone_Ranger
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by Lone_Ranger » Fri 18 Sep , 2009 21:16 pm

Emimec wrote:Hi Rob
Thanks for the photos.
My mistake, Z axis, it is the plug in the first or top picture.
Interesting that your plug is angled upwards, as opposed to my one, which points downwards, so the cable drags itself along the bottom of the machine, probably causing the problem I experience. I think I would prefer to just buy a new cable if not an extortionate price, time factor is one, hassle of sourcing and then getting the right cables in the right pins is another.
Thanks
Bob
Hi Bob

Well, if you are thinking of buying from GE Fanuc the the "E" already stands for Extortionate, good luck!!!

I would check if the socket has come loose and turned round causing that problem, if it was fitted like that then it came from Denford that way!! Ouch!!

Regards
Rob

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Sat 19 Sep , 2009 0:26 am

We would have made the cable up at Denfords. All you need is a length of 20 core screened cable & someone to solder it up. Both ends are soldered connections.
It`s not rocket science.

Emimec
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by Emimec » Sat 19 Sep , 2009 21:33 pm

Made a couple of interesting discoveries today, first, succeded in transfering files from the pc to the Fanuc via serial cable connection, interesting bit is the cable is only wired with 3 wires and as used on our Heidenhain mill controllers. Two other suggested formats on this group would not work. This might not be the diagrams at fault, I was using the tncRemont program from Heidenhain as the DNC, on a Fanuc !!!

The DNC download from here, http://www.sub-soft.com/download/Edi...itor_3.5.3.exe, worked ok, and put the program into "Blocks" unlike the tncremont thing, which gave a garbled mess.

Interestingly, a cable wired as per a suggested ideal by a user, An Fritz, threw up a cable fault alarm?

Second discovery, was confirmation that my Z axis issue is no doubt being caused by the plug socket being positioned on the machine so that the plug and cable exit in the direction of the machine bed or base. This causes the cable to drag along the bottom.

Can the socket be easily lossened and rotated 90 deg ? with upsetting anything inside?

Where do I purchase the angled plug? I studied the RS site, but very difficult to locate the correct one with my limited knowledge of these plugs.
Thanks
Bob

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Sun 20 Sep , 2009 23:06 pm

The body of the plug can be rotated fully. You will need to unscrew the cable the cable clamp & then the rwmove then unscrew the clamp & smaller locking nut. The shell will then split in 2 & can be rotated to suit.

Why do you need a new plug?

Emimec
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by Emimec » Mon 21 Sep , 2009 7:09 am

Many thanks. I note you advise about the plug being rotated, where I thought I would have to rotate the socket on the machine, but I see what you mean now.

I would need new plugs for both ends if I decide to fabricate a new cable myself. I would get the new cable ready beforehand, thus avoiding the machine being out of action.
Bob

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Mon 21 Sep , 2009 10:06 am

Sorry,
Had a look round in the old stock here at Denfords but unable to locate any plugs.
You may need to contact Fanuc directly for spares.

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Mon 21 Sep , 2009 15:05 pm

Can I just mention that the encoder cable will not (well at least should not) just be plain old screened cable - it's usually got a couple of thicker pairs for the +5v and 0v going to the 'bulb' and the A, notA, B, notB etc. signals will also need to be wired together as twisted pairs, and preferably individually screened.

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Mon 21 Sep , 2009 15:27 pm

The Fanuc`s were allways wired with standard 20 core screened cable. There were no thicker pairs or twisted pairs like the Heidenhains had.

Emimec
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by Emimec » Tue 22 Sep , 2009 22:26 pm

Perhaps now you can see why I wanted to just buy a new cable !!!
Avoids all the if's and but's of what type of cable etc.
Bob

PS, Thanks for looking if any parts were still available.

PPS. Do I assume new key pad covers are also very expensive ?Some of my buttons have cracked and fallen of, gone brittle with age and lack of use I guess, The most commonly used, clear error, program etc
bob

Lone_Ranger
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by Lone_Ranger » Tue 22 Sep , 2009 23:01 pm

Emimec wrote: PPS. Do I assume new key pad covers are also very expensive ?Some of my buttons have cracked and fallen of, gone brittle with age and lack of use I guess, The most commonly used, clear error, program etc
bob

Very expensive!!
Top keypad Fanuc part number A98L-0001-0518T is €60.00 Euro

Lower Operators Keypad Fanuc part number A98L-0001-0524/B is €89.00 Euro
Shipping "Economy" service is €16.00 Euro

All the above do not include VAT at the current rate in Luxembourg which is where they are shipped from (Not sure but I think it is 17.5%)!!

Dig deep!!!!! Good luck!!

Rob
Attachments
A98L-0001-0524_B.jpg
A98L-0001-0524_B.jpg (29.73 KiB) Viewed 12380 times
A98L-0001-0518_T.jpg
A98L-0001-0518_T.jpg (22.79 KiB) Viewed 12380 times

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Thu 24 Sep , 2009 11:14 am

Very expensive!!
Top keypad Fanuc part number A98L-0001-0518T is €60.00 Euro
Pennine have some here and should be cheaper:
http://fanuc.pennineuk.com/a98l-0001-0518.htm

Lone_Ranger
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by Lone_Ranger » Thu 24 Sep , 2009 11:33 am

I bought one of these to replace the top keypad, proper buttons, probably never need changing ever as long as not damaged, really nice to use as well!!!!!
I thought it was a bit expensive till I fitted it, worth every penny!!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Keysheet-Keypad-F ... 911.c0.m14

Regards
Rob
Attachments
OT_TOP_KEYPAD.jpg
OT_TOP_KEYPAD.jpg (34.66 KiB) Viewed 12371 times