Cyclone turret alignment issue

All info relating to the Denford Cyclone lathes

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

Emimec
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Cyclone turret alignment issue

Post by Emimec » Sat 18 Jul , 2009 18:40 pm

After a very successfull morning producing aluminium parts from 22mm dia bar, disaster stuck in the afternoon. At the part off stage, a loud bang, machine stopped due to alarm and parted of bit found broken in the suds tray.

It may well have been due to a part off tip failure.

Anyway, sorted the mess, run machine and it was found that the turret is now about 2mm too high on the axis, almost like the foul up has raised the centre line of the turret tool position.

How does the turret readjust to get it back on the centre line of the chuck?
Barrifaldi 80 turret.
Thanks
Bob

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Re: Cyclone turret alignment issue

Post by Denford Admin » Mon 20 Jul , 2009 9:02 am

Something could have twisted - the headstock or the turret body, although I think that both would be pinned.

Anyway, I'd start with a test bar and check the run out/taper first.

btw, which control is it ?

Emimec
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by Emimec » Mon 20 Jul , 2009 22:06 pm

Cyclone B, Fanuc OT control. Barrifaldi 6 station turret.

I think my first post confused the issue. I mean't to say the tool carousel mounted to the turret, is where the problem is.

I think what had happened, is the turret had moved on its mounting to the Barrifaldi. To clarify this, a centre drill was "on centre" with the chuck centre line. After the foul up, it was effectively 2mm high of the chuck centre line, (Clocked) giving the impression that the turret carousel has been knocked and made it rotate a degree or so.

How does the tool carousel fix to the Barrifaldi? If its only on a taper, it could of moved. If its splined or pinned, then I have to look deeper.

I'll try the old fashioned way of repair, based on how it moved in the first place, Thump it the opposite direction !!!!
Bob

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Tue 21 Jul , 2009 9:34 am

The tool holder is screwed onto the turret disc with 6 bolts and pinned twice, so it seems unlikely to have been knocked round.
Is the drill off centre in X and 'Y' ?
If its only shifted up in the X axis, it could be that the X drive belt slipped so the machine is homing out in a different position ?

Emimec
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by Emimec » Tue 21 Jul , 2009 21:08 pm

Yes
It is the X axis alignment. If you imagine a line along the axis of X to be 2mm higher than an imaginary line of chuck centre line along x axis.

I cant see how it could have jumped. I get the impression the Bariffuldi carousel locates on a multi toothed ring gear arrangement when its locked in position after indexing. Having said that though, it does give the impression that is exactly what has happened, it locks down after indexing one tooth up.
Bob

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Wed 22 Jul , 2009 10:24 am

I would think that if the turret was locking up out of position, then your drills would be out in the X and Y (imaginary) axes...you would be able to see this by not being able to drill on centre at any X position

If its only out in X, then I would suspect the home position has altered, or the whole turret has shifted (unlikely?) ...if the X drive belt was not that tight, it could have slipped one or two belt-teeth maybe ?

H12UAJ

Post by H12UAJ » Fri 10 Dec , 2010 11:41 am

Hi

I also have this problem with my cyclone. it is out in the y axis so it will need re-alignment. How is this possible. Is there a guide on how to do this or will it require a service Engineer to fix?

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Fri 10 Dec , 2010 11:53 am

How is this possible.
It depends on the type of turret...
It will be quite easy for certain types to lock up slightly out of mesh meaning the boring holder centre is not in-line with the centre of the chuck.
Problems could be caused by a turret switch failing or coming loose. It could also be down to mechanical wear or damage

You need to find out more about the type of turret and how it works, then we can make educated guesses as to why it's out of position.

H12UAJ

Post by H12UAJ » Fri 10 Dec , 2010 13:33 pm

Its a Baruffaldi TOE 80 model.

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Fri 10 Dec , 2010 13:49 pm

I've uploaded a maintenance manual for it here:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3136

H12UAJ

Post by H12UAJ » Fri 10 Dec , 2010 17:12 pm

I've taken a look at the manual thanks. Is there an easy way of mechanically adjusting the turret via a setting bar and a clock and turning a few screws. I was hoping it would be this easy but looking through the manual it seems that I will need to adjust proximity switches.

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Fri 10 Dec , 2010 17:14 pm

Sorry I can't help you any further, but I've passed it onto Martin who will have more experience of setting these up - anyone else with the knowledge has already left for the weekend.

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Fri 10 Dec , 2010 18:26 pm

The 2 dowels Admin mentioned are the key. They are used to align the faceplate then removed.

It may be the pins are still fitted but pulled back. There should be 2 holes next to the 6 cap head screws holding the faceplate. The pins were about 6mm diameter & domed at one end & tapped at the other.
You need to slacken the 6 faceplate screws & tap the dowels in which will realign the turret. Then tighten the screws & pull the dowels out. The dowels are removed to allow a bit of movement without damaging the mechanics.

H12UAJ

Post by H12UAJ » Mon 13 Dec , 2010 10:09 am

Hi Martin, thanks for getting back to me.
There are no dowels in the faceplate. Also when I slacken the screws I am unable to twist it even close to being aligned. I belive who ever used this machine before may have had an almighty bang on it to knock it this far out. Is there another way of re-aligning this.

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Mon 13 Dec , 2010 10:20 am

Can you attach a photo of it ?

H12UAJ

Post by H12UAJ » Mon 13 Dec , 2010 13:37 pm

See pictures
Attachments
Faceplate off.jpg
Faceplate off.jpg (138.94 KiB) Viewed 11214 times
Faceplate.jpg
Faceplate.jpg (163.98 KiB) Viewed 11214 times
Centre position.jpg
It snot the best picture but can you make out that the drill is slightly over to the right of the centre of the bar
Centre position.jpg (76.27 KiB) Viewed 11214 times

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Mon 13 Dec , 2010 17:47 pm

Hi Bob
It may be that you will need to make a couple of dowels.

I can't tell from picture 3 exactly what you mean.
The other way to reset would be to clamp a bar in the spindle the same diameter as the pot. Then slacken the faceplate & the six bolts holding the toolpost down & carfully move the pot over the bar then reclamp. You would then need to clock the faceplate to make sure it is square with the spindle & carfully adjust.

H12UAJ

Post by H12UAJ » Tue 14 Dec , 2010 9:28 am

I have tried this method already but the turret is twisted so much it is unable to move round enough. Looking at the first picture with the faceplate removed, is there any method of adjustment there?

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Tue 14 Dec , 2010 9:59 am

Does the toolpost index correctly (& lock ) in all 8 positions without the faceplate on?

H12UAJ

Post by H12UAJ » Tue 14 Dec , 2010 11:25 am

yes