All info relating to the Denford Cyclone lathes

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

Emimec
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by Emimec » Wed 25 Feb , 2009 7:55 am

Hi
I have a 6 station Baruffaldi fitted.

I think I should establish which way the spindle should run, but it seems obvious to me that it is counterclockwise? The M codes for forward and reverse do as they say, assuming it is revolving the way I mention.

Same with the turret, seems logical to me that should revolve the same way? with tooling mounted "upside down" in the turret ?

Diagnostic 453 was, if I recall correctly, 000010100, I changed it to 000000100 ?, but then put it back after no improvement.

Bob

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Wed 25 Feb , 2009 8:15 am

The spindle comes off a true fanuc drive so the mains input phases to the machine will not effect the direction of rotation. The toolpost motor & coolant pump are the only things that are phase dependable. There is somtimes a rotation arrow on the coolant pump that you can check depending on what pump was fitted to your machine. If you have not altered the phases it still seems the most likely.

Lone_Ranger
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by Lone_Ranger » Wed 25 Feb , 2009 9:55 am

Hi Bob

I don`t have anything more than Martin I`m afraid, I agree that it is most likely to be the Phases need swapping. As Martin says the easiest way is to check the rotation of the Coolant Pump, if that is correct then we know the Phases are correct and the Turret fault is something else.

It may just be that the Turret is not going to position fully due to lack of use and there may be old, dried coolant that is stopping it going back to the fully locked position, that is what the 1003 alarm usually is (On mine anyway!!)
The Turret only goes one way and operates on a Helix so when the power is applied to the motor it throws the Turret out and turns it, inside there are a set of switches that tell the Turret control board where it is and when it reaches the correct switch position the power to the motor is reversed and the Turret reverses and goes back in, once it is in the correct position a small "holding" voltage and current (12V if I remember correctly) is applied to the Turret motor constantly to keep it in position. The Turret motor should get warm if that is working correctly so don`t worry about that.
Possible the switches are contaminated or just poor connection and the correct signals are not getting to the Turret control board.

Re Spindle, yes, the rotation will be as if it was a normal Lathe with a front toolpost, viewed from the position of "behind the Spindle" which is the normal way then you should have "Clockwise" rotation with M03 and "Anticlockwise" with M04.
Yes, the tools are upside down and the correct size is 12mm square shank, this places the tip on Indexable tooling correctly on the center of the spindle.

Regards
Rob

:) :) :) :) :)

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Wed 25 Feb , 2009 18:38 pm

The Barrufaldi RH80 toolpost has a 3 phase 110 volt ac motor & is fitted with a brake. When the toolpost is in position the brake is energised & the power to the motor released.
There is a small rotary position switch inside the toolpost & a clamp switch that. Both have to be correct for the tool position to be registered.

The 12volt reversing & holding that Lone_Ranger mentions is part of the smaller Denford in house toolpost.

Emimec
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by Emimec » Wed 25 Feb , 2009 20:46 pm

Hi Martin and Rob

I swapped the phases and all seems ok. Thanks. I misled myself with the theory of chuck rotation changing with a phase swap.

In search of a chuck now, would love an auto one, or auto collet if available !!

Thanks again
Bob

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Thu 26 Feb , 2009 10:02 am

I'm sure there's a moral to this story somewhere... :?

Lone_Ranger
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by Lone_Ranger » Thu 26 Feb , 2009 10:07 am

Denford Admin wrote:I'm sure there's a moral to this story somewhere... :?
Yep, there is!

"If we all work together we can fix anything, anywhere, anytime, eventually!!!"

Regards
Rob

:doh: