Z axis Calibration issue

All info relating to the Denford Compact 1000 and Compact 1000 Pro small routing machines

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

Mrpilot21
Hardware/Software: Router- Compact 1000 (F1 in schools Jig)
Software- QuickCam Pro

Z axis Calibration issue

Post by Mrpilot21 » Fri 17 Feb , 2017 3:17 am

I am having some trouble with the Z axis and cutting my F1 in schools car. I am using a Compact 1000 with the F1 jig fixture. I am using a 3mm ball cutter with a flute length of 25mm and a total length of 75mm. I plan to cut my car using all 4 axis (top, bottom, left and right) to be able to get into the small spaces behind the canister. I am machining my car without the hole at the rear because we plan to vacuum metalize the car and the rear whole would need to be air tight, which we couldn't do without painting the inside. Thus I haven switched the front and the rear around so that the 54mm hole is at the front of the car and I have made a block on the back of the car so that the clamp can clamp onto. I am starting off with a side-side cut before I switch to the top and then the bottom, so I load my model in first cutting the left side. I think put a step over on the Y axis of 3mm, as per the instructions. I then select the 3mm drill bit and then create my cut plan. I select a raster rough (meaning that it cuts the car on the first pass) and have it cutting at 0.5mm with every pass, safety height at 7mm and the finishing amount at 0.1mm. I then select the cut boundary, with the minimum X being 45mm and the maximum X being 212.50, this is to accommodate the clamp at the rear and the circular fixture at the nose. I then review a simulation of the cut (which looks correct) then proceed to set the datum. Once I am done, I then open up Virtual reality CNC miling (which is the software to control the router), I then home the machine and then start the cut. The alignment is correct and everything is to scale, except there is a 6mm track of uncut material running down the center of the cut. I have tried calibrating and recalibrating the machine, I have repositioned the drill bit and have attempted to cut further, with no success. If someone could please tell me what is happening which my machine, that would be great.

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Re: Z axis Calibration issue

Post by Martin » Fri 17 Feb , 2017 7:41 am

It would be good to get a copy of your .fnc file & a picture of the car if possible.

Mrpilot21
Hardware/Software: Router- Compact 1000 (F1 in schools Jig)
Software- QuickCam Pro

Re: Z axis Calibration issue

Post by Mrpilot21 » Sat 18 Feb , 2017 0:32 am

Sure I can do that, but it will have to be Monday morning, since I have left the file at school...