Drilling and boring?

A place to talk about QuickTURN 2D Design - our first Lathe CAD CAM software for a very long time.

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

MAX THE MILLER
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
Hardware/Software: Denford Triac PC. VR Milling 5.51.0.616

Drilling and boring?

Post by MAX THE MILLER » Sat 11 Dec , 2021 21:47 pm

Can anyone give me any guidance as to how to use QT2DD to generate Gcode for drilling and boring holes?

What I have in mind is centre drilling the work, then progressively enlarging the hole with twist drills and finally boring to finished size. The bore might need to be tapered or stepped rather than parallel.

I've started off by trying to do something simple ie drilling a 10mm dia hole in the end of the work. There is a 10mm diameter drill in the tool list. I've attached the zipped up .LCM file which was created for the job by importing a .DWG file into QT2DD.

The first thing that goes wrong is that the 3D model looks nothing like the drawing. If I ignore that and proceed to create Gcode I just end up with a load of error messages.

Any help gratefully received.

Max.
Attachments
Boring.jpg
Boring.jpg (117.71 KiB) Viewed 5749 times
boring.zip
(1.65 KiB) Downloaded 241 times

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Re: Drilling and boring?

Post by Steve » Tue 14 Dec , 2021 18:17 pm

Hi

The issue is somthing to do with the DWG import as the lines of the profile are not valid.

You need to draw a profile that is a single polyline and import that.

The attached profile was drawn in QuickTURN and should work OK

Internals have a few rules and the tool library must be set correctly.

As the center drill is 5mm diameter the smallest drill size is 5mm. To use a smaller drill size you have to eddit the Center drill to be 2mm or the size of the drill being used.

If you intend to do boring then you must open out to a minimum diameter of 14mm so the first boring pass goes from 10mm to 14mm clearing enough room for the tool to get in. If you set a diameter to 11mm it canot be machined.

example1.zip
(1.82 KiB) Downloaded 260 times

MAX THE MILLER
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by MAX THE MILLER » Tue 28 Dec , 2021 22:07 pm

Thanks Steve.

I finally got round to trying this out. As you say it works fine if the LCM drawing is produced withing QT2DD, being sure to sure to tick "internal" before drawing the hole or bore.

Still not having any luck in importing .DWG files even when using a single polyline. Should I be importing a half drawing split along the Z axis (X axis as far as the drawing is concerned) or a whole drawing?

MAX THE MILLER
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by MAX THE MILLER » Sat 01 Jan , 2022 18:41 pm

I've imported the three attached .DWG drawings, all consisting of a single polyline, but have had no success with generating the correct Gcode from them. I have my doubts as to whether QT2DD can actually import drawings with internal details.
Attachments
BoringC.DWG
(77.14 KiB) Downloaded 224 times
BoringB.DWG
(77.14 KiB) Downloaded 243 times
BoringA.DWG
(77.16 KiB) Downloaded 237 times