SW10 and Solid Cam

Help with Solidworks Education Edition and the F1 In Schools free version. Tips, advice and curriculum

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

Kai

SW10 and Solid Cam

Post by Kai » Tue 05 Oct , 2010 11:03 am

A chap has ofered me his copys of Solidworks 10 and solid CAM 8

I am looking to start up a small set up in my garage and don't want to use illegal stuff.

So my question is will they work together and is it ok for him to sell it to me?

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Re: SW10 and Solid Cam

Post by Denford Admin » Tue 05 Oct , 2010 16:40 pm

Solidworks is such a large, powerful piece of software that I wouldn't want to even start using it without support or updates anyway...You'd have to read the license agreement with the software to know whether it can be transferred (ie by him selling it to you and never using it himself again)
I'm sure there are plenty of good, cheap or free solutions if you don't want to pay for something like SolidWorks.
eg:http://www.freebyte.com/cad/cad.htm

I understand it's difficult to find money for software when just starting out however.

Kai

Post by Kai » Wed 06 Oct , 2010 1:15 am

Thanks I will have a look at that .

Its the being new and so many routes you can take lol there isa lot to learn here and you find a little somthing every day.

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Wed 06 Oct , 2010 9:32 am

By the way, I recently found out that Dassault (who do Solidworks) are offering a free 2D CAD drawing package called DraftSight
http://www.3ds.com/products/draftsight/#vid1

I've had a quick go with it and it seems to have everything you need from 2D and is very much like AutoCAD.

Kai

Post by Kai » Wed 06 Oct , 2010 23:44 pm

Hey you know you are a real treasure on this formum my friend you give willingly to the new folks like me all the time I thank you and by the looks of it will keep doing so after some of my stupid questions