Problem machining a dxf file made from a bmp

Submit any comments, issues or requests relating to the use of VR Milling Version 5 and 2

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

tristix_k

Problem machining a dxf file made from a bmp

Post by tristix_k » Tue 24 Mar , 2009 15:58 pm

Hi,
I am trying to engrave a bmp image in a piece of teak. I have imported a bmp into 2d design v2 then vectorised it and de filled in the black areas and exploded the drawing to simple objects. it was then a basic black line drawing. I then imported this dxf file into vr milling v5. i set it to engrave to 1mm using a 3mm ball nose cutter. When it came to posting the process i checked the pattern but it puts random circles in the drawing and then right at the end it put a huge circle in the drawing which goes outside the limits of the machine and so wont create the fnc file.

I have tried maching a bmp file in quick cam but this creates a 3d profile of the drawing which takes ages when i only really want an engraving.

Basically does anybody have any experience with this or any clues as to what i am doing wrong?

Many thanks
Tristan

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Wed 25 Mar , 2009 11:08 am

Have you downloaded the latest version of VR Milling 5?
There have been instances in the past where arc angles are so small, but have a large radius that the software gets confused and the arc ends up going the wrong way around (ie you get a huge circle).
Issues like this have been fixed in later version of V5 milling, so try that first.
If you still have an issue, attach the DXF and we will fix the problem.

tristix_k

Post by tristix_k » Wed 25 Mar , 2009 14:43 pm

Thanks very much for that. Downloaded the latest version and have managed to machine what I wanted.
However in the dxf import wizard it still shows large arcs on the test process stage. It works fine when i post the process so not really an issue, although a little disconcerting!

Thanks again

Tristan

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Wed 25 Mar , 2009 14:47 pm

Ok good, can you email it to
technical "at'denford dot co uk

we'll be able to sort out the preview for the next version of milling
thanks