Adapter needed retrofit Micromill to USB

Submit any comments, issues or requests relating to the use of VR Milling Version 5 and 2

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

KirarM

Adapter needed retrofit Micromill to USB

Post by KirarM » Fri 05 Mar , 2010 4:26 am

We're updating our school computer lab with new computers that will have only USB ports and no parallel ports. We run a Denford Micromill current via a computer connected with a parallel port connection. The mill is a 1998 machine with about 2500 hours on it which is still running ok. Is there an adapter made to retrofit my old micromill to our new computer with USB ports? If so, where might I buy one?

One another topic, will the current QuickCam 2 & QuickMill 2 software programs work on our 1998 Micromill cnc machine?

Mike

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Re: Adapter needed retrofit Micromill to USB

Post by Denford Admin » Fri 05 Mar , 2010 10:15 am

We run a Denford Micromill current via a computer connected with a parallel port connection
As far as I know, Micromills have never been connected via parallel port - I'm guessing its actually a 25-pin serial (RS232) port on your old PC's
Is there an adapter made to retrofit my old micromill to our new computer with USB ports?
There are plenty of USB > Serial adapters available, but the key is to find a good quality one. Lots of people have tried various ones without success.
If you're running VR Milling v2, then you might get one to work, but I doubt the DOS control software would recognize the USB serial port.
I believe we are now offering a DOS EPROM and V5 VR milling upgrade for people with Micromill's that don't want to go to the expense of getting the full USB control card upgrade. - Steve may be able to advise more on this...
One another topic, will the current QuickCam 2 & QuickMill 2 software programs work on our 1998 Micromill cnc machine?
QuickCAM 2D will create programs that will run with V2 and V5 milling controlling the machine - not sure about DOS s/w - some minor mods to the post file may be required for the DOS s/w to recognise the program

bradders
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by bradders » Mon 08 Mar , 2010 10:17 am

Try http://www.usbnow.co.uk/ Pt No AUM-100

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Mon 08 Mar , 2010 11:05 am

If you're able to open the PC's without voiding the warranty, I'd recommend getting an RS232 PCI card that's much more likely to work.
eg:
http://www.lambda-tek.com/componentshop ... dID=B92674

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Mon 08 Mar , 2010 11:28 am

I used the AUM-100 last week on a customer machine without any problems.