Viceroy TDS 1/1GB Factory Taper Turning Attachment

Read what other Denford users are doing with their machines and software.
Educational resources, ideas and courseware.
If you have a Denford related success story, please tell us about it here.

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

dazz
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
Hardware/Software: Viceroy TDS 1/1GB lathe, Imperial, stripped down and rebuilt.
Viceroy Taper/Tracer attachment, Shop made cross slide tracer attachment, VSD.

Viceroy TDS 1/1GB Factory Taper Turning Attachment

Post by dazz » Tue 12 Jun , 2012 10:42 am

Hi

Attached are some photos of a factory made taper turning attachment in use to turn a Morse Taper No.3. The only other place I have seen a genuine Denford taper turning attachment is in old brochures. A least this one exists.

Also included but not shown are two centres that fit in the place of the straight edge. A turned profile can be mounted between centres and copied. I am sure I will find a use for it one day.

The dial gauge is attached to measure the taper. The straight edge is marked at 300mm. The dial gauge is traversed exactly 300mm to measure the taper.

The factory follower uses a ball bearing or a point. These are great to follow a profile. I made brass skates so that any imperfections in the straight edge would be smoothed over.

Note that the colour of the swarf matches the Viceroy blue. Cermet inserts produce really hot chips.

Dazz
Attachments
IMG_2017.jpg
The "standard" long reach brass skate straightedge follower I made.
IMG_2017.jpg (75.87 KiB) Viewed 14781 times
IMG_2019.jpg
The short reach brass skate I made for turning small diameters
IMG_2019.jpg (58.68 KiB) Viewed 14781 times
IMG_2025.jpg
The MT3 setup
IMG_2025.jpg (75.16 KiB) Viewed 14781 times
IMG_2026.jpg
The finished MT3
IMG_2026.jpg (65.22 KiB) Viewed 14781 times
Regards

Dazz

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Re: Viceroy TDS 1/1GB Factory Taper Turning Attachment

Post by Denford Admin » Wed 13 Jun , 2012 9:02 am

Again, it's great to see you making good stuff the "old way" :)
Although easy to program and quicker to setup, I don't think a stepper CNC would do as good a job...you'd probably notice the steps in the taper.

YouraT

Post by YouraT » Sun 17 Jun , 2012 22:51 pm

Hi.

It seems a well thought out copy/taper attachment - rare though - there's a machine on eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150836543864) at the moment which seems to include most of one.

My recently acquired machine does not seem to have any of the attachment points - either on the bed or on the cross-slide - you'd need to mount the taper turner (factory version). The flats are there on the back of the bed - just no tapped holes (I guess it's that way 'round) into which to screw the brackets that mount the bar.

Maybe I'll have to do something about that whilst the lathe is in bits being cleaned etc.

Questions for Admin I suspect:

Is there a bed drawing available somewhere that shows what the mounting points are meant to be like - I can't find a drawing number for this bed in the drawings list - although that for the 280VS is ML100/402 - are the beds the same?

Also - is the drawing set for the copying/taper turning attachment known to exist anywhere? I guess that's the ML126/1 - ML126/16 series....

Thanks,

Youra.

dazz
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
Hardware/Software: Viceroy TDS 1/1GB lathe, Imperial, stripped down and rebuilt.

Post by dazz » Mon 18 Jun , 2012 8:35 am

Hi

The rear threaded mounting points are not on the flats. They are in the blue painted valleys.
The threaded mounting points on the cross slide are on the side. If you look carefully at the photos above, they show their locations. Their location is not critical.

The one on ebay has the centres but not the straight edge and pivots. I don't see the springs or the mountings either.
It would be relatively easy to fabricate a factory copy. There are no dove tails, precision machining or complex shapes. A similar system could be retrofitted to any lathe.

Dazz
Regards

Dazz

Andy B
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: 280 VS lathe, Denford Senior E-type mill, Senior Major Universal Mill

Post by Andy B » Mon 18 Jun , 2012 12:44 pm

YouraT wrote: Is there a bed drawing available somewhere that shows what the mounting points are meant to be like - I can't find a drawing number for this bed in the drawings list - although that for the 280VS is ML100/402 - are the beds the same?
The bed drawings are 'interesting' to find a match for a particular lathe model or to see how a particular feature fitted, as many variants were done under different revisions of the same drawing number. So they need to be read in conjunction with the relevant change notes as listed in their change columns.
If the 280VS list is showing an ML- number for the bed, then yes it was carried over from the 5" models.
YouraT wrote: Also - is the drawing set for the copying/taper turning attachment known to exist anywhere? I guess that's the ML126/1 - ML126/16 series....
Yes it does.
I'll send the photo I have of ML126 to Admin and see if he can reduce the file size whilst keeping the detail readable.
I also have photos of a few of the detail drawings - so if anyone wants something in particular please ask.

Andy

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Mon 18 Jun , 2012 13:16 pm

Here is the drawing AndyB had, ML126 - copying attachment arrangement
Attachments
ML126.jpg
ML126.jpg (419.11 KiB) Viewed 14739 times

YouraT

Post by YouraT » Sun 24 Jun , 2012 21:44 pm

Thanks for that drawing Andy

I think it's clear enough that I'll not need the sub drawings to brew something up of my own that follows the general idea, although I guess posting them so there's a record here would hurt nobody ;-)

Dazz - I've looked carefully, and there are no tapped holes anywhere near the flats - I guess my bed simply wasn't machined with them for some reason...

Should be easy enough to organise, although I'll have to flatten to mounting pads/flats off al little better than what seems to be their current 'as cast' state.

Cheers,

Youra.

dazz
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by dazz » Tue 26 Jun , 2012 9:34 am

Hi

You just need to drill and tap suitable holes on the cross slide. No need to machine around the pads.
If you need any additional photos or dimensions, just let me know.

Dazz
Regards

Dazz

YouraT

Post by YouraT » Tue 26 Jun , 2012 13:47 pm

Thanks Dazz - I think I should be able to manage - I'll get back to you otherwise!

The only reason for machining the mounting pads a little is to make sure they are perpendicular to the bed so I can mount the support arms without the casting draft angle throwing things out of square, although I guess I could in principle make up a couple of wedges of some sort to compensate instead...

I'll have the bed off the stand shortly in any case, so that would be the time to do it, or at least check what the situation actually is.

I've also started a thread here on slotted cross-slides:

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=3787

which you may have a comment on perhaps.....?

Cheers,

Youra.

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Fri 20 Jul , 2012 9:08 am

I've also added the original copy / taper turning attachment leaflet:
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=3811