Replacement headstock plastic gears for sale.

Anything to do with buying, selling or sourcing Denford machines, spares or software - please use sensibly!

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

Pete.
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Replacement headstock plastic gears for sale.

Post by Pete. » Sat 30 Jan , 2021 14:09 pm

I occasionally get asked if I can make these (normally by people who have come here looking for help with their chewed-up or broken gear). These gears are long-since unavailable as a stock part and the one quote I got years ago was £270 for one (which ironically started off my journey in making gears).

So, I've made a batch of new headstock gears from delrin. The most common one to need changing is the 65 tooth sliding gear on the layshaft as it gets chewed up by changing from low-high with the spindle turning, and also sometimes by over-binding when running at high speed. The other is a 68 tooth gear fixed on the spindle. I can make these also for the same money but I'll need a couple of basic dimensions as there's no drawing and I no longer have one to copy.

gears.jpg
gears.jpg (106.09 KiB) Viewed 6320 times

£50 each gear or £90 for both. That includes postage (to the UK). When you get your gear you will have to use your original metal hub as a drilling guide to put in the bolt and pin holes. It's easy enough to do using a battery drill.

Pete.