mcm to dxf

A forum for anything to do with QuickCAM 2D Design and LaserCAM 2D Design. Submit advice, examples, problems, feature requests etc..

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

johnb80

mcm to dxf

Post by johnb80 » Wed 07 Apr , 2010 10:52 am

Is there an easy way to convert an mcm file to dxf or autocad dwg?

Regards - John

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Re: mcm to dxf

Post by Steve » Wed 07 Apr , 2010 11:18 am

I dont have LaserCAM loaded but it should be the same as QuickCAM 2D.

Once you have your design go to FILE then EXPORT and you have to option to save as a DXF.

Sometimes you can get an error message the first time you do this. :( This is a bug in the 3rd party design engine and we cannot get it fixed but the file is still saved and the error does not occur again until you reopen the software. :D

johnb80

Post by johnb80 » Wed 07 Apr , 2010 13:09 pm

There isn't an export option nor is there an option in Save As......

J

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Wed 07 Apr , 2010 13:30 pm

You're right - LaserCAM does not have the Export option, but QuickCAM 2D has.
There must have been a marketing decision to disable it, as the two pieces of software are identical other than the toolpath CAM wizard in QuickCAM.

johnb80

Post by johnb80 » Thu 08 Apr , 2010 5:57 am

I think we have quickcam, I'll check.

Thanks - John

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Thu 08 Apr , 2010 10:22 am

Are you running the latest version?

Version 1.11 can be downloaded from, http://www.website.denford.ltd.uk/suppo ... -downloads

dwightfreeman

Re: mcm to dxf revisited

Post by dwightfreeman » Sat 20 Nov , 2010 2:59 am

I am using Windows 7 with Quickcam 2D, when exporting a drawing to .dxf I get this error

Access violation at address036857F4 in module 'VECAD.dll'. Read of address 00000000.

I have tried to export the file in all of the versions V10, V11, V12, V13 etc. The .dxf file does appear where I saved it but there is nothing in it.

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Mon 22 Nov , 2010 9:46 am

I'll have to double check it's not a Windows 7 problem, but there has always been an issue with .DXF export.
Unfortunately the library we use isn't supported so we have to put up with it for the time being
Whenever I want to export to .dxf I find the 1st time dosn't work, usually creating an empty file, but if I export again then it works ok.

Matt
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by Matt » Thu 02 Dec , 2010 22:25 pm

Hi Admin

We are having the same problem with export. It just produces an empty file every time. I have exported a number of times but still the same thing happens. I have loaded the latest version and running Windows XP. Please could you look at this again? I have a job that I need to use this function on.

Many thanks

Matt
Architectural Model Maker www.matthewwood.co.uk

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Fri 03 Dec , 2010 15:41 pm

Yes I've just tried it again here on XP with latest version of QuickCAM using DXF file version v13
I got an exception and an empty file the 1st time.
The 2nd time I saved it as a different filename (by mistake) and also got an exception
3rd time I saved into the 1st empty file and it worked fine - It seems as though it errors out when the file doesn't already exist :?

Matt
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by Matt » Fri 03 Dec , 2010 20:22 pm

Hi

I tried it again today and it worked fine!

I was trying to save the .dxf file to my desktop and it didn't work.

I saved the .mcm file I was trying to export on the desktop and then it all worked fine, and works for other .dxf files, as long as there is a .mcm file where it's going . It’s like you need any .mcm file with it before it works..!?

I know this sounds very weird but I thought I had better post in case it helps anyone else in the future.

Matt
Architectural Model Maker www.matthewwood.co.uk