Stepdown in QuickCAM 2D

A forum for anything to do with QuickCAM 2D Design and LaserCAM 2D Design. Submit advice, examples, problems, feature requests etc..

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

paulwils7

Stepdown in QuickCAM 2D

Post by paulwils7 » Mon 17 Sep , 2007 11:45 am

Hi guys,

I am working on a maze design in QuickCAM 2D and I am having some issues setting the step down. The material is MDF (6mm thick) and the maze profile is being cut with a 6mm endmill. The depth of cut is 4mm.

QuickCAM 2D sets the stepdown to 100% - I take it that this will cut the material to a depth of 4mm in one pass? This to me seems like a an excessive cut. I would like to be able to adjust the stepdown to 0.5mm.

From what I can see, there is no way to change the stepdown as it is read only.

Cheers
Paul Wilson

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Steve » Mon 17 Sep , 2007 14:09 pm

Paul,

With a router in MDF I think it will cut the depth = to the tool diameter no problem. 0.5mm seems too shallow unless the tool is blunt. 2mm increments would be easily cut. You could leave it at 100% and reduce the feedrate. This will also extend the tool life as you are cutting with more of the flute.

Within Quick CAM 2D you cannot change the cutting information as it is read from the VR Milling software (when quick CAM is initialised).

Open VR Milling 5 and go to the setup menu then select Materials.

Choose edit and you will them get the material library, feeds and speeds displayed.

You could create a new material called Maze Project.
Set the spindle speed to 23000 feed to whatever you want then the cut to 40% of tool diameter or whatever you want.

Once you save the new material or edit the existing ones they will become available once you reopen Quick CAM 2D. (You must shut down Quick CAM if it is already open or the new material will not be displayed).