Microrouter spindle controller

Information and questions about Denford CNC Control electronics, general electrical issues, cables, diagrams, stepper motors, drives etc...

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

Tay100
Hardware/Software: Microrouter

Microrouter spindle controller

Post by Tay100 » Mon 30 Sep , 2019 8:26 am

I have a Denford Microrouter and i am looking to change the Porter cable spindle for a water cooled spindle. Having looked at the electronics i see that the speed control is done via a KB electronics KBIC board, is that correct? I see 6 wires connected to the board and it looks to me like 240v in to the board, 240v out of the board and then 2 smaller wires. Am i right in assuming these these are for 0-10v reference to set the speed ?
I understand that i wont be able to use this board for a water cooled spindle and will have to replace it with a VFD, i just wanted to see if my understanding of what is in there already is correct ?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Wayne

TDIPower
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: Starturn 5 (sort of running, I will get this done!)
Lathe cam designer V1.11
Quickturn 2D Design
FANUC offline and online programs.
Microrouter Pro NS V5 (microstep)
VR2 and VR5
Boxford VMC260
Techsoft 2d Design tools V1 > V2
ProDesktop
Fusion 360
Deskproto

Re: Microrouter spindle controller

Post by TDIPower » Mon 30 Sep , 2019 18:10 pm

I might be wrong but I thought the speed controllers were Sprint units, it is 240v in and 0-10v for 0-full speed control. If I remember correctly the 0-10v MUST be isolated as there is something about 240v floating on the board. I might be wrong but I think the output is DC.

If you have a look at this thread I posted many moons ago it has info on the Sprint speed controller viewtopic.php?f=46&t=4778

Pete

Tay100
Hardware/Software: Microrouter

Post by Tay100 » Mon 30 Sep , 2019 19:58 pm

Thanks for the reply but i have just had a look at some pictures of the Sprint boards and thats not what is fitted to my microrouter.
Im somewhat confused, the KBIC 225D board is a PWM for DC motors from what i read but the router is fitted with an AC porter cable motor. The board looks like it is modified quite a bit from the standard layout that is in the KB support documentation.

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Tue 01 Oct , 2019 10:31 am

The earlier Micorouters were fitted with Sprint 1200 spindle drives which we then changed around 2002 to a KB Electronics KBLC 240DS Drive.

Both units are DC drives.

The Porter Cable we fitted would work with either an AC or DC supply.

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Steve » Wed 02 Oct , 2019 14:20 pm

As Martin says the Porter Cable Motor is a universal motor and can be run from AC or DC.