Corrosion and rs232 performance

Information and questions about Denford CNC Control electronics, general electrical issues, cables, diagrams, stepper motors, drives etc...

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

bpmsl
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Corrosion and rs232 performance

Post by bpmsl » Tue 24 Sep , 2019 23:01 pm

Hi All.
I've recently lost Rs232 comms with my novamill first with one of my workshop laptops then both. I've fitted a spare card and am up and working again. If I clean and resolder the highlighted corrosion is it likely to help resolve the issues? Otherwise the board looks fine.
20190923_131528_resize_84.jpg
20190923_131528_resize_84.jpg (224.65 KiB) Viewed 4898 times
Any constructive feedback would be much appreciated.

Many thanks
Barry M

MadeForThat
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice
Hardware/Software: Micromill 2000:
Nextstep-4 axis
Novaturn ns:
denstep card (from swap)-atc

Re: Corrosion and rs232 performance

Post by MadeForThat » Wed 25 Sep , 2019 16:37 pm

Hi Barry,
I would suspect the chips are fine, but i would be concerned about the small traces that are pretty toasty as circled below. if there arent that many that are bad, you might be able to just run solder over the trace to make a track, or jump a little wire from point to point. Cant say for sure if it is worth it, or if that would work, but I would probably try it for shiggles

edit: i cant seem to attach photos, but if you look just above the red circles, you will see some traces that are nearly gone

bpmsl
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by bpmsl » Wed 25 Sep , 2019 17:22 pm

MadeForThat wrote:
Wed 25 Sep , 2019 16:37 pm
Hi Barry,
I would suspect the chips are fine, but i would be concerned about the small traces that are pretty toasty as circled below. if there arent that many that are bad, you might be able to just run solder over the trace to make a track, or jump a little wire from point to point. Cant say for sure if it is worth it, or if that would work, but I would probably try it for shiggles

edit: i cant seem to attach photos, but if you look just above the red circles, you will see some traces that are nearly gone
Thanks for the pointers, I have a spare board so can compare the two. Hopefully I can resurrect this one as a future backup.

Thanks again.
Cheers
Barry

MadeForThat
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice
Hardware/Software: Micromill 2000:
Nextstep-4 axis
Novaturn ns:
denstep card (from swap)-atc

Post by MadeForThat » Thu 26 Sep , 2019 17:59 pm

I'm not sure I said anything you probably didn't already know, but hopefully you can get it cleaned up. That reminds me that I need to either remove my batteries or spray a coating around it for when this inevitably happens to mine! Let us know if you can get it back to functional :)

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Fri 27 Sep , 2019 10:30 am

I don't believe we use the battery on the SmartStep/DenStep control card.