Viceroy 280

If you've had enough of reading, then look at these pictures of the "good" old days. Machine brochures, magazines etc..

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Viceroy 280

Post by Denford Admin » Thu 24 Aug , 2006 22:12 pm

Drawing offices with hundreds of people :)

Andy B
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: 280 VS lathe, Denford Senior E-type mill, Senior Major Universal Mill

Scan available

Post by Andy B » Mon 20 Nov , 2006 18:25 pm

I've got a 280 VS exactly as shown in the brochure shown here, along with a poor photocopy of the brochure

Any chance of a scan (at reasonably high resolution) and putting it in the downloads section?

Also, is there a way of dating these machines from the serial number?

Cheers,

Andy

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Tue 21 Nov , 2006 9:56 am

Theres no way I'll get the time to scan it in - just takes too long I'm afraid.
I normally set the camera up on a tripod and take Macro snapshots - they have been good enough to read electrical dwgs in the past.

About the serial numbers, I think there may be an old book somewhere with lots of drawing refs in it - possibly serial numbers as well

I'll see what I can do...

davidimurray
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by davidimurray » Tue 21 Nov , 2006 11:08 am

Many moons ago I bought some manuals for our Triac and Orac (must have been about 4 years ago) I spoke to a very nice man at Denford. He worked out the machines from the serial, from memory the last two digits (this may be wrong) was the year it was ordered. May be the same for your machine?????

Andy B
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: 280 VS lathe, Denford Senior E-type mill, Senior Major Universal Mill

Post by Andy B » Tue 21 Nov , 2006 23:36 pm

davidimurray wrote: He worked out the machines from the serial, from memory the last two digits (this may be wrong) was the year it was ordered. May be the same for your machine?????
Not sure that is true for the manual machines - mine is s/no 27390, and I estimate it to be mid-80's.
I have seen another 280 with the manual vari-speed drive, and that was s/no 25832.

Cheers,

Andy

davidimurray
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by davidimurray » Wed 22 Nov , 2006 9:26 am

Hmmm - probably not the same then :P

I presume you have seen this website?

http://www.lathes.co.uk/viceroy/index.html

Cheers

Dave

Andy B
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Andy B » Tue 02 Jan , 2007 13:47 pm

Dave - yes, I have helped Tony Griffiths with some of the content regarding Viceroys on his site, based on experience with my machine.
Denford Admin wrote:
About the serial numbers, I think there may be an old book somewhere with lots of drawing refs in it - possibly serial numbers as well

I'll see what I can do...
Did this book ever show up?
It could be very useful to us 280 owners!

Andy

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Tue 02 Jan , 2007 14:50 pm

Hi - yes I looked at the book and it seems to be just a "sketch" drawing reference book - unless the serial numbers of the machines contained the sk number within it ????
Attachments
old-sketch-book.jpg
old-sketch-book.jpg (73.89 KiB) Viewed 29648 times

Andy B
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Drawing Register

Post by Andy B » Thu 04 Jan , 2007 13:51 pm

No these are not 'sketches' - this is THE drawing number register!

From what I can read in the photo, the same number series was used for all purposes - transit cases for exhibitions, illustrations for manuals, inspection certificate templates, as well as machine parts.

All drawings that I have seen for the 280 series machines have had a 'SK' prefix - whether mechanical or electrical.
One drawing I have is for the assembly of the manual 'synchro' speed control device, and all components shown have SK... part numbers.

Do any drawings from this era exist, or are they all lost / sold or destroyed?

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Thu 04 Jan , 2007 14:31 pm

Yes - there are still huge wooden drawers with huge drawings in them.

As we are moving premises in the near future, I would imagine all these will get burned :?

If anyone fancies coming to archive them somehow, then your welcome !

Triac whizz
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by Triac whizz » Thu 04 Jan , 2007 19:22 pm

If you don't mind them being in France, I can find room in the barns somewhere :lol:
Self Catering Lodges in Central France with covered pool & large grounds
www.la-coterie.com

DrewPuppy

Where to?

Post by DrewPuppy » Sun 07 Jan , 2007 19:01 pm

So, where are Denford moving to?
Andrew.

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Sun 07 Jan , 2007 19:14 pm

Not far - the current plan is to develop on our land next to the current buildings.

So, it's not looking like it will happen in the very near future - suppose it depends on the builders / architects :(

DrewPuppy

Post by DrewPuppy » Sun 07 Jan , 2007 23:03 pm

Ah, an opportunity to cover over some of the potholes in the car park! :wink:

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Mon 08 Jan , 2007 15:13 pm

Strangely enough, someone has just filled in some of the holes - you only need a 4x4 to use it now :wink:

castlehillwizard

Engineering Heritage

Post by castlehillwizard » Thu 11 Jan , 2007 14:11 pm

You wouldn't seriously burn them would you? I am sure there are several good alternatives - even the County Record Office might give them a home.

If it's possible to separate them out then I'd take the Viceroy TDS3 material, digitise them and produce a reference manual. Just picked one up on eBay and keen to get whatever material on it that I can.
Paul Ballard
Connaught Alternative Technology
Co Mayo
Ireland

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Thu 11 Jan , 2007 15:31 pm

No - I'm sure we won't be burning them.

However, after speaking to management - it seems pretty complicated what to do with them - it is after all, a lot of man years of design and development of a good machine tool name

I'll keep you posted