orac build

All info relating to the Denford Triac series of CNC milling machines

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

radial junkie
Hardware/Software: in the process of a masive orac refit including case etc running on emc2

orac build

Post by radial junkie » Sat 16 Jun , 2012 22:33 pm

Hi everyone iam new to this site and cnc for that matter. I aquired a denford orac off flea bay it was a in a bit of a sorry state but after nearly 8 months work iam slowly getting it to where i want the orac to be it should be ready for test runs with linuxcnc in the next 2 weeks
Attachments
SDC10680.jpg
now a super orac
SDC10680.jpg (54.35 KiB) Viewed 7313 times
SDC10678.jpg
work in progress
SDC10678.jpg (53.34 KiB) Viewed 7313 times
she will scrub up ok.jpg
making a start
she will scrub up ok.jpg (72.04 KiB) Viewed 7313 times

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Re: orac build

Post by Denford Admin » Mon 18 Jun , 2012 9:25 am

Looking good !
I take it you have access to some sheet metal work facility ?

radial junkie
Hardware/Software: in the process of a masive orac refit including case etc running on emc2

Post by radial junkie » Mon 18 Jun , 2012 9:57 am

yes and no the tray was built using the original tray and the consul bottom the case and door was produced from molds i made in GRP the skirt that goes round the tray was hand formed using to lengths of angle in the vise to hold the sheet and a rubber mallet to bend to shape same with the controller box onlly part that was cut was a 120 count spindle encoder wheeel which a friend laser cut for me everything else is hand formed.

radial junkie

Post by radial junkie » Fri 22 Jun , 2012 19:51 pm

not done alot since last posting other than run the axis though linuxcnc iam hoping to make more progress this week , already acquired my next build its denford easimill the intention for that is a 5 axis setup using the 3 axis of the easimill with the other two axis coming from a rotary table .

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Mon 25 Jun , 2012 9:28 am

Just wondering how you'd go about programming 5 axes ?
I'd have thought the CAM for full 5 axis would be expensive...or is it more a case of: rotate job into position then do normal 2.5D programming ?

radial junkie

Post by radial junkie » Mon 25 Jun , 2012 11:05 am

yes cams arnt the cheapest of software but i have access to camworks used by a freinds company, i belive camworks supports upto 6 axis

radial junkie

Post by radial junkie » Sat 29 Sep , 2012 0:13 am

Just a short line to let everyone know the orac is up and running, just a few software configs to add to linuxcnc 90% of it is already done, aquired a denford easimill single phase just waiting on 2 harmonic drives 100:1 ratio for the 4th and 5th axis conversion, will post some pics of the orac might upload a vid the biggest problem was the 2500ppr encoders i added to the Z and X axis but 99% of the problem was linuxcnc being new to me but finding my way round it. just waiting on new chucks and tooling for the orac now going to 125mm chucks so first job is to machine new backing plates, I must say for a training lathe the accuracy of the orac is impressive
once the everything is adjusted using a dial gauge i achieved 0.01 mm variation on the z axis full length of the lathe test bar.

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Mon 01 Oct , 2012 16:38 pm

Yes please post some finished photos! The accuracy sounds great

triac
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by triac » Sun 13 Jan , 2013 12:31 pm

Hi Radial junkie

Could you please post some details of parts used for your Orac conversion, suppliers links would be very helpful.

Thanks, Emgee