Checking lubrication system

All info relating to the Denford Triac series of CNC milling machines

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

Richard Evans
Hardware/Software: TriacPC/Mach3

Checking lubrication system

Post by Richard Evans » Thu 19 Apr , 2012 11:33 am

I have recently bought a Triac PC- I'm slightly concerned about the lubrication system. The slides look as you'd expect, oily, not excessively so. However, the ballscrew shaft on the X axis looks dry- should it be visibly oily?
The X travel is possibly a bit noisier than I expected but of course the machine is mounted on a steel tray so I'm probably just paranoid!

Is it possible to test the lube system (if thought necessary) using the hand pump/primer?

Thanks
Richard

Richard Evans

Re: Checking lubrication system

Post by Richard Evans » Sat 28 Apr , 2012 12:45 pm

I took the motor cover off. The motor seems to be 110V AC. There is no AC voltage on the two motor wires when the steppers are operating, and no sign of movement-(but then the motor says 9 revs per hr which seems incredible considering that there is also a step-down gearbox).

So maybe a fuse has gone? There is a fuse on the circuit diagram in the PDF, where will I find it?

Thanks
Richard

angel-tech
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: .....
4 Quatros
3 Oracs
2 Easiturn atc
12 station lathe atc
Mach 3

Post by angel-tech » Sat 28 Apr , 2012 14:00 pm

The oiler only works when the spindle is on. You can operate the oiler by pulling the plunger up and leaving it to fall by itself.

Richard Evans

Post by Richard Evans » Sat 28 Apr , 2012 15:38 pm

angel-tech wrote:The oiler only works when the spindle is on. You can operate the oiler by pulling the plunger up and leaving it to fall by itself.

Thanks! I knew something had to be in operation, thought it was the steppers. The lube pump motor works fine. However, that still leaves the ballscrew shafts looking dry. Checking the delivery pipework looks difficult, but I might have a go on the Y axis which is the least inaccessible.

Cheers
Richard

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Sat 28 Apr , 2012 17:40 pm

It does take sevral hours for the oil to fill all the pipes after it has been left for a period of time. Just leave the spindle running which should eventualy prime the system.
There may also be a collar on the pump which can be lowered to increase the flow rate. Just release the 3mm allen screw & wind the collar down. It would normally be set on 3.