Mill CAM Designer on RM CC3

CNC related queries on software; firmware; DOS; Windows; parameters; programming; error messages etc.

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

SJH

Mill CAM Designer on RM CC3

Post by SJH » Mon 02 Oct , 2006 12:21 pm

We appear to be having problems getting the Mill CAM Designer software to run properly on our RM CC3 network.

We built a package and tested it before allocating it out to other workstations. Whilst on the test workstation the package seemed to work fine for admin, staff and student users with the exceptions captured during the package build process.

On the other workstations however, we cannot create G-Code as a student. It throws up an error whenever we try. This works fine as an admin user so this is obviously a permission problem.

I tried running the ACL Detective to pick up any access needed to create G-Code and applied it. These new changes only seem to work on the workstation I created the new WriteAccess.ini file for. This suggests that the location of the files the students need access to changes from workstation to workstation.

I just wondered if anyone else has had this problem and managed to resolve it?

So far I have given Full Control to Everyone for the directory C:\Denford\Data and to C:\WINDOWS\Temp. But students still seem to get the error "gcode error on open. GNC directory may not exist any more.".

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

SJH

Post by SJH » Mon 02 Oct , 2006 12:26 pm

I have attached the latest WriteAccess.ini file we have tried:

[C:\Denford]
Everyone=0x1301BF

[C:\Denford\Data]
Everyone=0x1301BF

[C:\Denford\Data\GENERIC.GNC]
Everyone=0x1301BF

[C:\Denford\mcd2.ini]
Everyone=0x1301BF

[C:\Program Files\Research Machines\Network Management\RM SM Utility\Cache]
Everyone=0x1301BF

[C:\Program Files\Research Machines\Network Management\RM SM Utility\Cache\_PS.smu]
Everyone=0x1301BF

[C:\Program Files\Research Machines\Network Management\RM SM Utility\Cache\PM.pmo]
Everyone=0x1301BF

[C:\Program Files\Research Machines\Network Management\RMC3IEngine\Temp\Outbound]
Everyone=0x1301BF

[C:\Program Files\Research Machines\Network Management\RMC3IEngine\Temp\Outbound\ADC_{B10B3595-92B2-4522-95E1-7E059124E586}.stf]
Everyone=0x1301BF

[C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\software.LOG]
Everyone=0x1301BF

[C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctl3dv2.dll]
Everyone=0x1301BF

[C:\WINDOWS\Temp]
Everyone=0x1301BF

[C:\WINDOWS\Temp\scs19.tmp]
Everyone=0x1301BF

[C:\WINDOWS\Temp\scs1A.tmp]
Everyone=0x1301BF

[HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Cryptography\RNG]
Everyone=0x3003F

[HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData]
Everyone=0x3003F

[HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Products\4DB9FEAD9E0E9E84899F9AAFD1F7CD9C\Usage]
Everyone=0x3003F

[HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Products\BDBD20B97FBDA344F83A3B08EF7831E6\Usage]
Everyone=0x3003F

[HKLM\SOFTWARE\Research Machines\PMSMonitors\ProcessMonitor]
Everyone=0x3003F

[HKLM\SOFTWARE\Research Machines\PMSMonitors\StationActivityMonitor]
Everyone=0x3003F
Last edited by SJH on Mon 02 Oct , 2006 13:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SJH

Post by SJH » Mon 02 Oct , 2006 13:42 pm

I just re-rolled the package to one workstation on the network with the WriteAccess.ini file posted above.

I logged in as a student and tried to create G-Code, it seemed to work fine this time.

I have been using that particular workstation a lot for this however.

I will try this latest version on some other workstations that it hasn't been tried on before and post the results here for anyone else that might have problems with this.

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Mon 02 Oct , 2006 21:34 pm

Just some thoughts (luckily we don't often get involved with RM setups :wink:).....

Some of the other directories under c:\denford may be opening files for r/w access even though its only reading from them (eg, fanucm.slb)

Most of millcam is written in 16 bit code and is using very old windows calls for memory and file control.
I've had some problems where long directories or filenames cause a problem, also, isn't there some kind of legacy option in the package builder :?:

Theres supposed to be an entry in win.ini that it reads (think its the location of the \denford\data directory

I can look in more detail tomorrow while at work if your still having problems

SJH

Post by SJH » Tue 03 Oct , 2006 9:12 am

I tried out a few more workstations this morning with the WriteAccess.ini I pasted above. All of the ones tested with my various test user accounts seemed to work fine.

Very strange. I don't know exactly what I've done differently to the last 8 times I tried but there we go.

The kids haven't actually logged in and tried it yet, but going from my results this morning I'm fairly positive it will work.

At least anyone else having this problem can use the WriteAccess.ini I pasted as a working example :roll:

Thanks.

SJH

Post by SJH » Tue 03 Oct , 2006 15:22 pm

I managed to have some students test out the Mill CAM Designer software this afternoon and every single one was able to create G-Code without error.

So it appears that the latest WriteAccess.ini I pasted above has worked this time.

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Tue 03 Oct , 2006 15:29 pm

Thanks,

I'm sure it'll help others out in the future.

PS, Isn't there an RM website which users can share package setups on ?
I've spoken to someone in the past that mentioned this regarding techsoft 2D design which is fairly well used throughout UK schools.

SJH

Post by SJH » Wed 04 Oct , 2006 12:57 pm

Possibly. I know there is a RM Community site where people can share their findings/ideas etc.

http://communities.rm.com/