Denford TRIAC programming from cad drawing

CNC related queries on software; firmware; DOS; Windows; parameters; programming; error messages etc.

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

edwardsjc

Denford TRIAC programming from cad drawing

Post by edwardsjc » Mon 12 Mar , 2012 13:28 pm

Before I begin, please accept my apologies in advance for what may seem like a completely stupid question !

I am considering buying a TRIAC mill, believed to be from around 1994. I don't have a serial number, but I do know the machine is fully enclosed and with a 6 station tool changer and supports Fanuc or Heidenhain simulated interchangeable controls.

I want to create my drawings in Autocad, and use these to generate the machine program. I keep getting conflicting information suggesting this is'nt possible, but I'm not convinced this is true.

So, can I draw my component in Autocad, post process it using tools to be defined, then download into the machine and have the part cut ? Sounds simple to me, but am I missing something ?

I also see a number of people have switched to Mach3 control. Assuming all the existing electronics are sound, is there any advantage to this ?

Thanks for any help !

Jason

Large519
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
Hardware/Software: Denford Triac PNC3
FeatureCam - CADCAM
Delcam Powershape

Re: Denford TRIAC programming from cad drawing

Post by Large519 » Mon 25 Mar , 2013 14:31 pm

Autocad is a (CAD) design based programme only, you cant use it to creat nc programmes (which the m/c uses to cut metal) you'll need a seperate (CAM) manufacturing based programme to do that.
Simply draw your design in Autocad, import it into your CAM software and then you can create tool lists n cutter paths from the CAM programme, which then gives your nc programme. You can either then import that straight to your machine control to cut metal or use via mach3 to control your machine.
You can get programmes that do both CAD/CAM in the same package, I use featurecam. made by Delcam you can down load a free trial version from there website. There are others avaialble of course, Denford recommend some too, but havent looked into those yet.
I've recently just bought a triac, not sure quite how old, but the control is dated - it'll work, but will limit what can be done because each programme can only have upto 750 blocks/lines which means basic simple 2d profiling, the mach3 from what I have seen/read and tested on the demo can run upto 100x (correct me if I wrong) that in blocks/lines, which then gives you endless possibilities ie 3d machining. But to run mach3 you possibily have to change some of the electrics and from what I'e read on here it can either be a walk in the park or a complete nightmare. But either way the end result is worth it.

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Mon 25 Mar , 2013 15:56 pm

1994 machine could be fairly unreliable due to the old electronics...contacts and components just don't keep that well after almost 25 years.
So, I'd look at getting Mach or similar... Mach has something called LazyCAM which will do what you want from your designs in AutoCAD.
Depending what the control is, Denford may be able to upgrade to VRMilling5 which will also take .dxf or .dwg from AutoCAD and create suitable g-codes.
The Denford option will probably be more expensive, but less hassle than installing Mach..

el$syd
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by el$syd » Sun 21 Apr , 2013 15:05 pm

My TRIAC PC dated 1994 works very well - though occasionally throws a wobbly, but I am told it is probably due to noise on the RS232 cable I am using. However my suspicion is that it may be something else as it is always the same problem - the spindle stops. So I need to monitor the cutting to stop it ruining work should the spindle stop turning. Apart from that the machine is brilliant - the electronics which are housed in the black box cabinet are very well put together and more importantly well documented. At some point I hope to convert it to Mach 3 to give me a 4th axis - but so far 2D and 2.5D machining using the 3 axes have been fine. So it may be some time before I convert. I own and use the Denford 2D CAM software and also used to sell Easymill from Easymill.com a 2.5D up to 5 axis CAM package. Both these software packages can accept DXF drawings from Autocad and produce G-Code which work well. There are a number of other CAM packages, some are easier to use than others - both of the CAM packages I use have an easy learning curve, so within a few hours learning one can produce useful G-code. One gets what one pays for...
The biggest problem I find with milling is work holding and adapting the code to accommodate any clamps necessary. The Denford TRIAC PC is very powerful, as I am sure many other CNC machines are, and will quickly displace any insufficiently held down billet and consequently ruin work. Additionally in my case the spindle stopping turning has ruined quite a few :(

For the price I paid for my Denford TRIAC I am delighted with it, it got me into quality CNC milling without breaking the bank.