Will VR milling 2.13 run on a Celeron 300Mhz machine

CNC related queries on software; firmware; DOS; Windows; parameters; programming; error messages etc.

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

bpmsl
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Will VR milling 2.13 run on a Celeron 300Mhz machine

Post by bpmsl » Fri 07 Oct , 2011 8:56 am

Hi,
I've got hold of an old toughbook, the only discrepancy it has against the min OS in the manual for VR Milling 2.31 is that the procssor is a celeron one, and it has Win 2k installed. Will this cause me an issue for running my novamill? I'm not bothered about the simulation etc as that'll be done on my desktop. Only configuring the machine offsets Jogging etc and running the GCode will be done from the toughbook.

It'll also be used on my novaturn but since thats on DOS it should be fine.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Cheers
Barry M

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Re: Will VR milling 2.13 run on a Celeron 300Mhz machine

Post by Denford Admin » Fri 07 Oct , 2011 9:07 am

It should run fine on there.
The only thing I'd be worried about is Win2K - the latest version of milling (V2.31) definately has updated RS232 drivers because the older versions had problems communication under win2K. If it dosn't work then change control type in parameters from 5 to 0 or vice versa.

bpmsl
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by bpmsl » Fri 07 Oct , 2011 12:40 pm

Thanks again will keep that in mind.

For the record, as usual, I'm astounded at the speed and quality of support you folks give to a hobbyist for a machine thats been bought second hand and over a decade old.

Cheers
BPM

bpmsl
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by bpmsl » Sat 08 Oct , 2011 18:18 pm

ok for the record 2.31 with a v2.1 mint chip runs super smooth on this toughbook cf-m34t with win2k and hardware rs232, compared to my previous setup (2.08, 2.0 chip, xp and usb rs232 adaptor) which was slow to respond and jerky.

Connected it up and it just worked. Very happy especially with the touch screen to use sliders etc. Best £40 i've spent on this setup so far.

now to setup my novaturn in a real dos environment... Hopefully it'll go just as smooth.

Thanks again.
Barry m

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Mon 10 Oct , 2011 9:37 am

Where'd you get it for that money btw ? - ebay ?
Sounds like it's the perfect thing for running a machine off.

I'd also recommend sticking with real RS232 hardware for machine connections - I just don't trust those USB > RS232 converters. They may work but, as you've proved, they're a bit intermittent and there's nothing worse than spurious commands being sent to a machine tool

bpmsl
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by bpmsl » Mon 10 Oct , 2011 12:02 pm

Yes it was an ebay purchase, it was guarenteed working but the battery life was unknown by the seller. That was fine for me as it'll always be on mains power, and for the move from the my study to the workshop on battery isnt an issue either.

So I guess because tha battery is relatively expensive to buy I got this cheap, they seem to go for about £70 + P&P normally. To recon the battery pack with imported cells (ebay) is going to set me back about £20 but I wont bother until it lasts less that 15mins, and that could be ages off.

To be fair the seller was spot on as the battery only lasts about an hour, but its perfect in every other respect and the touch screen is a perfect interface for a machine tool.

With a boot to DOS and using FLStep it works great with my novaturn too.

I just need to get some time to run off a couple of test components to confirm all is working properly but I don't expect any issues.

Cheers
BPM