what cam software works out of the box with a novamill

Other CAD CAM systems used by Denford machine users but not supported by Denford themselves.
eg BobCAD, Dolphin, MasterCAM, Inventor, AutoCAD, EdgeCAM, DraftSight, Blender, SketchUP, TurboCAD, FeatureMill, SurfCAM, Mach3

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

zlittell

what cam software works out of the box with a novamill

Post by zlittell » Fri 01 Jun , 2012 5:24 am

My school has a novamill that currently just makes keychains, but hasn't been used in years. I want to use it for a few projects the involve using parts modeled in Autodesk Inventor. I tried using FeatureCam but could not get any post processors that I tried (mainly fanuc) to work. I have access to a few different types of cam software through friends, work, and local schools so I am just wondering; what cam software do you use with a novamill, denstep controller, and V2 VR Milling? Which post processor do you use with it?

Myself or the other organizations have no access to maintenance agreements so asking for a post processor is currently not possibly.

I liked featurecam for its ease of use (can have a part done being CAMed in about a minute) but if it won't work with the machine it is absolutely pointless.

-zack-

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Re: what cam software works out of the box with a novamill

Post by Denford Admin » Mon 11 Jun , 2012 16:54 pm

Hi, I've answered your other post with some suggestions for FeatureCAM post settings.

You may already have QuickCAM 3D with the machine ? Download the latest version of that and you'll be able to create gcode from 3D .STL models easily.
If you needed better toolpaths then you'd have to buy QuickCAM Pro which should work OK on a novamill with v2 milling. (I say should because the Denstep control system may cause the stepper motors to stall if the contours are complicated or change direction too quickly)