Robot to CNC handshake

Information and questions about Denford CNC Control electronics, general electrical issues, cables, diagrams, stepper motors, drives etc...

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

WilliamCarr
Hardware/Software: Allen Bradley, NovaMill

Robot to CNC handshake

Post by WilliamCarr » Sat 20 Apr , 2013 23:56 pm

Hi.

Our class has built a work cell with a MotoMan robot, and a NovaMill.

We're all done with the MotoMan and trying to get the remote control to the NovaMill working.

I looked up the M62/M64 details, and how to send a file.

MCode would be quicker... I see in the CIM manual I need to set Parameter 450, bit 7 to 0 to enable those MCodes.

Ahem. Where do I do that? And then which pins in the controller does that trigger?

We already did a test run, and executing M62 didn't turn any of the AUX pins on.

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Re: Robot to CNC handshake

Post by Martin » Sun 21 Apr , 2013 10:13 am

The parameters you mention are for a full Fanuc control which was never fitted to a Novamill.

The Auxilaries on the Novamill were a option but are shown on the electrical drawings if you need to fit them.

You do not need to set anything to enable them.

WilliamCarr

Post by WilliamCarr » Sun 21 Apr , 2013 22:19 pm

:?

My Instructor thought that perhaps the v.2 of the software didn't have an optional software package needed to use the Aux MCodes.

Setting the code in the NC program didn't activate the Aux pins according to the DMM.

Was there an optional package needed for that ?

Do you have any sample NC programs that show using M62 ? My Instructor set M62 at the end of the "safe" line.

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Mon 22 Apr , 2013 9:10 am

It looks as though M62 is supported in v2 milling (I checked Novamill.mnt and NovamillNS.mnt one of which will be the logic file it uses for your machine)
One of the mints requires CIM mode to be enabled. That will be set in parameters and activated with one of these options:
(The password to edit parameters is denny btw)
Attachments
CimMode.png
CimMode.png (20.66 KiB) Viewed 5655 times

WilliamCarr

Post by WilliamCarr » Mon 22 Apr , 2013 16:33 pm

Well, that should make the Instructor happy.

Password "denny".

Got it.

:D

WilliamCarr

Post by WilliamCarr » Wed 24 Apr , 2013 20:19 pm

Denford Admin wrote:It looks as though M62 is supported in v2 milling (I checked Novamill.mnt and NovamillNS.mnt one of which will be the logic file it uses for your machine)
One of the mints requires CIM mode to be enabled. That will be set in parameters and activated with one of these options:
(The password to edit parameters is denny btw)
:cry:

I emailed this fine explanation to my Instructor, but when I got to class he said it didn't work.

Apparently, the Parameters screen only went up to M8, and stopped.

I found another thread that mentioned "Hopefully the fanuc pmc logic in your machine has the CIM auxiliary I/O code in it".

Ah... could it be that we don't have the full software package? Can't turn on the CIM mode if it doesn't show in Parameters.

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Wed 24 Apr , 2013 21:07 pm

Are you running VRMilling version 2.31?

If not you can download it from the Denford website. Make sure you have the licence disc or dongle first though.

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Thu 25 Apr , 2013 9:44 am

The mcodes in the list are nothing to do with it,
I meant that turning on one of these options will enable M62 in the machine logic:
CIM RS232 input #
Remote control cycle # (think it'll be this one)
Remote control vice #

The mcode does not have to be listed in parameters, you can program any code whether it's in the list or not.
All the list does is enable an mcode in the control panel's drop down list.