Microrouter, No response and buffer full, machine stops

Information and questions about Denford CNC Control electronics, general electrical issues, cables, diagrams, stepper motors, drives etc...

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

rmb172
Hardware/Software: Denford Microrouter v4 ns

Microrouter, No response and buffer full, machine stops

Post by rmb172 » Sun 10 Feb , 2013 18:44 pm

Hello, this is my first post so I hope I am in the right area.

I have a Microrouter v4 ns (runs on serial port, no usb and has a green LED display), got it from another school that no longer used it. I have had it running fine, cutting DFX files and some basic 3D reliefs. Recently I have been trying reliefs with more detail and this Is were I am having issues. Machine starts fine, allows me to set the offsets and starts running, about 20 min in an error message pops up saying “No response from controller” and “buffer full”. Stops around the same place every time. Program continues to run through the G Codes but the machine just stops, feed and spindle. I have to then reset the software, and home all the axis before having another go. Same issue over and over again. I have spent hours looking through the forum for any solution.

What I have tried so far:
• Different STL files, also same files generating different raster cuts.
• Running the 3D simulator on the files first, simulation was fine, machine stopped.
• Different operating systems, clean installs with only VR miller running XP and Win 7.
• One post said that it could be a static problem, checked all the earth connectors, disconnected the vacuum, ran without vacuum, moved it away from the power sockets, and checked cables. Made sure the data cable didn’t come in contact with a power cable. No other appliances, machines near the router.
• Tried to upgrade firmware, bootloader out of date, wont work.
• Checked com port rate, made sure it was at the recommended setting.
• Two different computers, both with serial ports, and tried a USB to serial convertor, all the same problem.

Hope someone might be able to give me some advice,

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Re: Microrouter, No response and buffer full, machine stops

Post by Denford Admin » Mon 11 Feb , 2013 10:57 am

It's probably the old firmware causing these problems - it was related to data transmission errors and the board not able to recover when sent an invalid message.
If you contact service at denford dot co dot uk we can swap the Baldor top card for one with the latest firmware on it

rmb172

Post by rmb172 » Mon 11 Feb , 2013 17:01 pm

I have installed the workbench software from the CD, current firmeware version it says at the bottom of the software on my machine is: Nextmove ST Build 5030 WIP Beta CANopen.

When i select to uprade the firmware in workbench it gives me 4 options for Nextmove, all 5303, USB CANopen, USB BaldorCAN, CANopen and BaldorCAN. I have not tried it but if i select CANopen? and it uprades it, will this solve my problem?

Thanks

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Mon 11 Feb , 2013 17:12 pm

You shouldn't upgrade from workbench.
We only tested and supplied certain firmware versions which are the ones available with Easyupgrader.
If the latest version won't download due to the bootloader being too old then the only option is to exchange the card with Denford.
Where are you located ?

rmb172

Post by rmb172 » Mon 11 Feb , 2013 17:32 pm

Ok, thanks for your quick response. Was just hoping their was an easy solution. I have emailed your service team as you suggested and are just waiting for a reply. I am located near Hull, UK.