need help with Triac Mill

Information and questions about Denford CNC Control electronics, general electrical issues, cables, diagrams, stepper motors, drives etc...

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

MauriceBoudreau

need help with Triac Mill

Post by MauriceBoudreau » Tue 08 May , 2012 12:21 pm

Hi ;
I'm new at this post so hopefully this will work. We have aquired a used CNC Denford triac CNC mill . we would like to use for demo at the college with our apprentice in the classroom. This machine is fairly old Serial # E02434 July 1985. When we plug it in it required to ABS datum, so it set it's home position. The Z and Y axis work ok but the X goes on overtravel.
Thanks
Maurice
NBCC Canada

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Re: need help with Triac Mill

Post by Denford Admin » Wed 09 May , 2012 8:53 am

Is it a "true" fanuc control ? or BBC/IBM maybe ?

MauriceBoudreau

Post by MauriceBoudreau » Wed 09 May , 2012 13:18 pm

Good Morning;
thanks for the respond. On the main board it's mark TRiac North East Electronics ltd. Serial # 043. We didn't receive any manual with this machine. How can I tell what type of control
Regards
Maurice

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Wed 09 May , 2012 13:25 pm

Ok its a North East Electronics (NEE) PNC control.
The electrical diagrams will be here somewhere - easier when you know what to look for.

I'd say you firstly need to check the X home switch is working electrically - check voltage goes to it and from it.
It could well be a proximety detector - this could have failed or needs adjusting closer to the actuator.
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2932

MauriceBoudreau

Post by MauriceBoudreau » Wed 09 May , 2012 14:03 pm

Hi;
should there be a small block in front of the table that you can adjust lenghtwise ,for specifictly the proximity swicth roughly the same as what you have at each end for the limit travel. Because if there should be one it's not there. I will check that switch.
Thanks

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Thu 10 May , 2012 7:34 am

All 3 axis will use a proximity sensor to detect the home position.

If you power on the control & then press the "T" button you will be able to see if the sensor is being detected by placing a metalic object over the sensor.

MauriceBoudreau

Post by MauriceBoudreau » Thu 10 May , 2012 12:11 pm

Good morning;
I have check the Datum and from what I can see if I compare the other two axis ( Z and Y) the X proximity sensor is not sending a single. Which bit is it the first or last one .
Thanks

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Thu 10 May , 2012 12:54 pm

I am not sure & I don't think we have any information here at Denfords.

You should be able to short the wires at the terminal block to see if it is a faulty sensor.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2932

MauriceBoudreau

Post by MauriceBoudreau » Fri 25 May , 2012 15:58 pm

Hi Martin;
I have order a new proximity sensor but will I'm waitng for this is there a way I can have the x axis use the right hand side of the table instead of the left for the datum. It seem with the two limit switch and sensor arrangement it would probably work better that way.
Thanks
Maurice

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Fri 25 May , 2012 16:18 pm

You can alter homing direction on newer controls, but I've no idea,sorry, if you can on the old North-East controls.
You need to keep axis +ve and -ve the same as it is now but force the system to home in the opposite direction.
There may be a jumper, link or DIL switch, I don't know...
Do a search on here for PNC3 info and see if you can see anything about how the homing directions are determined.