How to solve smartstep controller flashing L

Information and questions about Denford CNC Control electronics, general electrical issues, cables, diagrams, stepper motors, drives etc...

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

jscooke

How to solve smartstep controller flashing L

Post by jscooke » Thu 23 Jul , 2009 14:37 pm

Hi there,

Ive been setting up a novamill and the smartstep controller 7 segment is flashing L. I think i have read on somewhere forums that this is a connection error.

If this is the case, am I correct in assuming the smartstep board will flash L without the computer connected?

When I connect the dos pc to the novamill controller, the pc stops on startup at initialising mint 3.28. Am I going down the correct path in assuming the flashing L likely points to a serial cable from controller to pc fault ?

Any help would be welcome.

james

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Re: how to solve smartstep controller flashing L

Post by Martin » Thu 23 Jul , 2009 15:32 pm

What is the version of the Eprom on the SmartStep control card?
Are you using the RS232 lead supplied by Denfords?
Have you tried both Com ports? (Com1 & Com2).
Are trying to connect in a Dos enviroment? (Windows 98 & above can cause connection problems)
What version of software are you trying to use?

jscooke

Post by jscooke » Thu 23 Jul , 2009 16:08 pm

Hi martin,

many thanks for your reply.

The computer came with the novamill and only has dos and the novamill software installed on it.

The eeprom in the controller is 3.28 v 1.6c / S - JD3.

ive tried both com ports with a null modem cable i have but was planning to wire a cable as per the diagrams in the forum.

The smartstep board displays the flashing L regardless of whether the computer is connected or not or which port.

What does the flashing L mean? Should it flash L without a cable connected? or is that a board error?

Hopefully its just a cable thing and i can get one wired to try it out.

Im not sure the version of the softwar but i presume its the original dos control program.

james

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Thu 23 Jul , 2009 16:54 pm

Like you are thinking the "L" should change to either a "8" or a "S" when the software links to the controller. The "8" is saying powered up & enabled. The S refers to a E-Stop. When the software is loading it looks for the machine down the RS232 lead or hangs up at the this point. You will need a correct RS232 lead with the changeover connections. if its 25 to 25 pins 2 & 3 cross over. You should be able to find the drawing on here somewhere. Then when you connect if the Denford blue control panel does not activate try changing over the com port at the computer end. The com ports are set in the GO file but it`s easier just changing the leads over. If you have a DeskTopTutor you will need a straight 25 to 25 or a straight 9 to 25 converter to the second com port. the best thing to do is to get the machine to link then plug the tutor in once the blue screen is up.

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Re: How to solve smartstep controller flashing L

Post by Denford Admin » Fri 24 Jul , 2009 11:27 am

Think this previous post will help:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1350&hilit=flashing+L