Installing Denford Viceroy on wooden bearers

All info relating to Viceroy machines - Lathes, sharpedge, drills etc...

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

Pzy
Hardware/Software: Denford Viceroy TDS1/2P.C.S Metric
Ajax AJ8 horizontal milling machine
Q&S 6H power hacksaw

Installing Denford Viceroy on wooden bearers

Post by Pzy » Sun 17 Jan , 2021 23:06 pm

I'm considering increasing the height of my Denford Viceroy lathe by screwing it to wooden bearers sitting on the existing concrete floor. I would like it closer (to aid my viewing) and higher (for comfort). My intention is to make it just high enough so the bearers are raised ever-so-slightly off the ground when lifted with a pallet truck -- minimizing the chance of accidents if something goes wrong. I have a Q&S hacksaw (about 350 kg)with this setup and it works well.

The bearers should also be brought slightly forward to improve stability as I find it rather top-heavy and tippy when not bolted down. I have wondered about adding a thin layer of high density rubber (car mat?) to reduce noise but I'm not sure the effect this would have on vibration.

Has anyone done something similar?

I welcome your comments,

Brian

TDIPower
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: Starturn 5 (sort of running, I will get this done!)
Lathe cam designer V1.11
Quickturn 2D Design
FANUC offline and online programs.
Microrouter Pro NS V5 (microstep)
VR2 and VR5
Boxford VMC260
Techsoft 2d Design tools V1 > V2
ProDesktop
Fusion 360
Deskproto

Re: Installing Denford Viceroy on wooden bearers

Post by TDIPower » Sun 17 Jan , 2021 23:28 pm

I only have a Boxford Tud manual lathe. I found this as a school/student machine too low for me at 6' 3".
I made some shuttering the size of each end of the lathe, drilled the concrete floor within the shuttering, fitted rawl plugs and used 150mm screws at 4" centres so I could level them (my floor has a substantial run off the pads are 4" at one end and 2" at the other!) and would also serve to anchor the concrete pads I poured to the existing floor.
I kept the gap between each end of the lathe as I have a large trolley jack I use in the centre when I need to move it and maintained the foot stop switch in the gap too.

I would see no issue using wooden bearers of a suitable timber although maybe a frame would be better that could be fixed to the viceroy. As for the rubber, try with and without, I wonder if the wood might help on its own. I like the Idea of giving it 'big feet' with the bearers extending forwards, that is until that time you forget and trip on them spilling your cup of tea and swarf!

Pete

Pzy
Q&S 6H power hacksaw

Post by Pzy » Mon 18 Jan , 2021 13:51 pm

TDIPower wrote:
Sun 17 Jan , 2021 23:28 pm
I only have a Boxford Tud manual lathe. I found this as a school/student machine too low for me at 6' 3".
I made some shuttering the size of each end of the lathe, drilled the concrete floor within the shuttering, fitted rawl plugs and used 150mm screws at 4" centres so I could level them (my floor has a substantial run off the pads are 4" at one end and 2" at the other!) and would also serve to anchor the concrete pads I poured to the existing floor.
I kept the gap between each end of the lathe as I have a large trolley jack I use in the centre when I need to move it and maintained the foot stop switch in the gap too.

I would see no issue using wooden bearers of a suitable timber although maybe a frame would be better that could be fixed to the viceroy. As for the rubber, try with and without, I wonder if the wood might help on its own. I like the Idea of giving it 'big feet' with the bearers extending forwards, that is until that time you forget and trip on them spilling your cup of tea and swarf!

Pete
Concrete pads sound like a good idea for a permanent setup but I need to keep things easily movable "just in case".

I'm aware of the trip hazard, but without the extra timber there may be a tip hazard. I'll have to see how it goes. Levelling (or rocking, on the concrete floor) shouldn't really be a problem as the lathe has just three floor mounting points.

I know that some people mount their lathes on castors but I can't imaging that would be good for stability and vibration control.

Pzy
Q&S 6H power hacksaw

Post by Pzy » Mon 18 Jan , 2021 13:54 pm

TDIPower wrote:
Sun 17 Jan , 2021 23:28 pm

Pete
I should have added that I am avoiding building a frame as I would prefer the left and right side to be "independent" and sit easily on the three mounting points. A rectangular frame might allow it to rock on the smallest floor imperfection unless leveling feet were used.

Pete.
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by Pete. » Mon 18 Jan , 2021 19:23 pm

You can sit the cabinet on timber however you want. the geometry of the lathe is unaffected because the bed is not subjected to twisting forces via the cabinet.

TDIPower
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: Starturn 5 (sort of running, I will get this done!)
Lathe cam designer V1.11
Quickturn 2D Design
FANUC offline and online programs.
Microrouter Pro NS V5 (microstep)
VR2 and VR5
Boxford VMC260
Techsoft 2d Design tools V1 > V2
ProDesktop
Fusion 360
Deskproto

Post by TDIPower » Mon 18 Jan , 2021 21:06 pm

I dont know if i was clear on meaning a frame or my understanding of bearers, we prob both understand. I didnt realise the viceroy was a single unit under the bed. My tud has motor cabinet on the left and a storage on the right, so it is open between where you would stand and you can get your feet under. So i was suggesting a frame under each end (like i did with my pads). I actually had the tud on lumps of wood for several years due to the floor run off. The concrete came about as i had some left over from some other work so decided to make things permanent.

LesT
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
Hardware/Software: An old Viceroy with a half installed invertor drive,(when I can decide where to put the control pushbuttons I will wire it up properly)
A WMD25V mini mill.
Tractor, Bobcat 320, and Dumper truck.
7 sheds, about 5 (?) mowers. etc, etc.

Post by LesT » Wed 27 Jan , 2021 21:32 pm

I have a Viceroy as well. I also struggle with a sore back etc etc.
B&Q sell soft wood "Railway sleepers" for raised beds, I think they are 5 x 8 inches.
I bought a couple of them and cut them to length, bolted them together with 12mm screwed rod, seems to have worked OK.
The lathe cabinet is screwed down with coach screws so it can't fall over (easily)
Les.T.

Pzy
Q&S 6H power hacksaw

Post by Pzy » Sun 31 Jan , 2021 23:56 pm

I ended up buying a long length of mild steel box section (90 square, 4mm thick) from the scrapyard. I've also added some spacers and bolts. It works well. Seems rock solid and a more comfortable height for me.