TDS1GB Collet with Drawbar

All info relating to Viceroy machines - Lathes, sharpedge, drills etc...

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

richardb
Hardware/Software: TDS1GB

TDS1GB Collet with Drawbar

Post by richardb » Sun 17 May , 2020 21:48 pm

I've only just found this forum having had my lathe for about 20years - bought it off a mates dad who bought it new and used it for modelling and light work - its a late metric one with the 'square shaped head unit'. I have fitted a Tesla drive unit as the original switch gear / motor had problems and its been great - loads of torque at low turning speeds etc
It was very well equiped including a Denford collet set and draw bar - I've not used the collet set before and want to check i'm doing it correctly.

Whilst I have drawings for what seems everything (a lot nothing to do with my machine as well which can be confusing !) there is nothing for the collet system.
The collet holder is No 3 morse and fits nicely into the headstock with the desired collet fitted and drawbar tightened etc, however there is a large nut that fits the headstock and is of a smaller overall dia that the collet holder - it has drillings in the side for tighening/loosening.
When the collet holder /drawbar is tightened - if the nut had been attached hand tight previously it would not meet the collet holder but be further towards the headstock - i.e leaving a gap. Are you supposed to tighten it onto the collet holder - i.e unscrew it ? Does it give support to the collet holder.
I can see it is needed to withdraw the collet holder from the morse taper (by unscrewing it pushes against the larger shoulder of the collet holder) if it is stuck as the draw bar only releases the actual collet.

Sorry if this is obvious but as I understand its a fairly rare item I don't want to be the one to wreck it first time out !

Andy B
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: 280 VS lathe, Denford Senior E-type mill, Senior Major Universal Mill

Re: TDS1GB Collet with Drawbar

Post by Andy B » Mon 18 May , 2020 7:39 am

Hi Richard and welcome to the forum.
Can you post a picture or 2 of what you have?

Edit:
I found and have posted some of the Collet Attachment (ML107) drawings - see this thread

I see now there is clearly a nut that fits on the nose thread - I would say this is purely to enable easy removal of the collet body, whilst also protecting the nose thread from damage and swarf.
So I would do it up with a slight push on a tommy bar / C-spanner (just enough to ensure that it doesn't vibrate loose), then insert the collet body and drawbar. Tightening the collet should 'snug' the collet body sufficiently into the headstock taper.

Edit 2:
Boxford and Southbend lathes used a very similar arrangement - your search engine should find plenty of pictures and comments on those.

Andy

richardb
Hardware/Software: TDS1GB

Post by richardb » Mon 18 May , 2020 21:48 pm

Andy,

Thanks for responding and for the drawning link - thats one I don't have.
When you noted that Boxford had similar items, a search was simple - easy when you know what you are looking for ! Thanks again. Now sorted.

Not sure if I should start another thread but I've got some screwcutting thread chart lathe plates NOS that I don't want as they are not for my lathe, so free to goods homes (not e bay sales !).

2no Metric 3mm leadscew Non gearbox, metric threads - Denford CH159
1no for Transposing set up - Imperial lathe to cut metric using gearset 120/127 silver colour/ black writing,figures.
1No ditto but blue background /silver writing, figures.
Not sure about uploading pics as yet, as I dont have any web hosting etc

Richard.

Andy B
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: 280 VS lathe, Denford Senior E-type mill, Senior Major Universal Mill

Post by Andy B » Tue 19 May , 2020 6:46 am

Richard,
Happy to help.
You don't need web hosting to add pictures on this forum - just click on the 'Attachments' tab below the message content.
attachments.JPG
attachments.JPG (5.59 KiB) Viewed 6527 times
or drag / drop a file.
Probably best start a new thread for your plates, then folks will find it more easily. There is a sales / wants section too.

Andy