Viceroy TDS 6 Wood Lathe - What's it worth?

All info relating to Viceroy machines - Lathes, sharpedge, drills etc...

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

Lorcanf

Viceroy TDS 6 Wood Lathe - What's it worth?

Post by Lorcanf » Thu 12 Jul , 2018 21:01 pm

Hi folks,

I was surprised to find there was a forum dedicated to the Denford Viceroy machines but very welcome s I need some help. I bought a TDS 6 model 10 years ago of an older man here in Ireland and have used it from time to time but now I'm hoping to sell it on. I'm looking to find out what ballpark I should be looking for in terms of setting a price. I've uploaded a few pictures. It has a 50" bed with all original centers rests etc. motor is a 1.5hp (I think) single phase motor and runs well, bearings are good with no spindle movement but don't turn as smooth as I think they should (they haven't gotten worse over time). It's a 1983 model and so not really sure what its worth. If anyone has any insight, I would be very grateful for it. Check out the pictures below.

Kind Regards,

Lorcan.
Attachments
lathe.jpg
lathe.jpg (594.11 KiB) Viewed 4136 times
lathe plate.jpg
lathe plate.jpg (324.31 KiB) Viewed 4136 times

Andy B
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: 280 VS lathe, Denford Senior E-type mill, Senior Major Universal Mill

Re: Viceroy TDS 6 Wood Lathe - What's it worth?

Post by Andy B » Mon 16 Jul , 2018 21:32 pm

Hi Lorcan,
Welcome to the forum.
Putting values on machines is never easy - these long bed machines don't seem to come up for sale as often as the short bed bowl turners.
I found a couple on Gumtree from earlier this year on your side of the Irish Sea - one at £200, which looked like a bargain, and one at £700 which was about top end I would think.
Yours looks to be a good,original machine (not been repainted), with its original single phase motor.
I would give a good clean, take some photos showing all the accessories you have for it (with no clutter in the background) and ask for offers based on £5-600, depending on how much tooling you have.

The nearest machine that does come up regularly is the Union Graduate - on ebay at the moment anywhere from £300 to £1200!

Hope that helps.
Andy