Bearing preload ..viceroy 280 vs

All info relating to Viceroy machines - Lathes, sharpedge, drills etc...

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

rpwilson
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
Hardware/Software: None. I own a pre CNC Denford 280 Synchro lathe.

Re: Bearing preload ..viceroy 280 vs

Post by rpwilson » Wed 17 Aug , 2016 23:14 pm

Just curious because I know nothing about plastics, is there any significance in the current gears being a black material and the ones you did some time ago being white? Is it a different grade?

Pete.
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by Pete. » Wed 17 Aug , 2016 23:30 pm

Hi Rich,

No, there's no difference. You can get black or white Delrin (or brown I think). Mechanically there's no difference, I just happened to find a bunch of black discs for sale which were a suitable size.

drumsticksplinter
Hardware/Software: Denford Cyclone

Post by drumsticksplinter » Thu 04 Jan , 2018 22:39 pm

Hi Guys,

I'm just jumping into this topic as I seem to have the same problem as everyone else with the plastic gear scenario. I've only recently had my 280 and I got it in place and powered it up. The noise in forward at high speed is unbearable, but not in reverse strangely enough... it runs really nice and quiet in reverse. There seems to be quite a bit of play in the gears though, but after a while of running the selector wobbles at high speed and then its hard to select high or low.

I'm wondering if any of you guys would be willing to make a set of gears for me? or have any spares? I'd be willing to have a go myself, but I don't have a mill at the moment and funnily enough, now not a working lathe either.

Thanks

dazz
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
Hardware/Software: Viceroy TDS 1/1GB lathe, Imperial, stripped down and rebuilt.
Viceroy Taper/Tracer attachment, Shop made cross slide tracer attachment, VSD.

Post by dazz » Fri 05 Jan , 2018 22:01 pm

Hi
I developed a bearing preload setting procedure written up here viewtopic.php?f=14&t=499
Regards

Dazz

rpwilson
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
Hardware/Software: None. I own a pre CNC Denford 280 Synchro lathe.

Post by rpwilson » Tue 16 Jan , 2018 11:37 am

drumsticksplinter wrote:Hi Guys,

I'm just jumping into this topic as I seem to have the same problem as everyone else with the plastic gear scenario. I've only recently had my 280 and I got it in place and powered it up. The noise in forward at high speed is unbearable, but not in reverse strangely enough... it runs really nice and quiet in reverse. There seems to be quite a bit of play in the gears though, but after a while of running the selector wobbles at high speed and then its hard to select high or low.

I'm wondering if any of you guys would be willing to make a set of gears for me? or have any spares? I'd be willing to have a go myself, but I don't have a mill at the moment and funnily enough, now not a working lathe either.

Thanks
I suggest that you take the top off the headstock and have a look at the gears, see how bad the teeth really are, and this might explain why its noisy in forwards, and quiet in reverse. If theres any scuffed up plastic round the edges, try cleaning it off, see if that makes any difference.

Richard