My new viceroy lathe

All info relating to Viceroy machines - Lathes, sharpedge, drills etc...

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

Hawk
Hardware/Software: Viceroy TDS 1/1

Re: My new viceroy lathe

Post by Hawk » Tue 28 Jul , 2015 21:12 pm

Oh it's been such a long time!

Thought i'd give an update whilst i was browsing about on the forums.

I have since started working in a machine shop as a trainee (strange to change career at 28 years old!) so i've since learned a good few things.
I have had a little bit of fun with my lathe and i've fixed the pulley situation. The pulleys are a matched set! but it's only a 3 speed. so they were in fact out of line the opposite way to which i thought they were. They are now in line as i "milled" slots in the mounting plate to position the pulleys exactly.
I had to take a link out of the drive belt as it had stretched a bit, so the drive is sorted as far as i can tell.

I've not really turned much in it except for a boss that i was making a tool out of, but it seemed to go ok.
I'll need to turn some more things to make sure all is well with it and post up the results.

I have a few more things i need to look into to ensure the lathe is running perfect, one being those headstock bearings. How do you adjust the preload?
I need to get some more gearbox oil as the last lot leaked out after changing it. I think i didn't tighten the sump plug properly as it disappeared into the swarf tray rather slowly.

Anyway! I shall be moving house soon and i'll need to get the lathe running properly before i build a new workshop round it. I have lots of projects i would like to do, some of which involve metal casting, so i'll need the lathe working to clean up the castings.