How do I get G code into the Triac's brain??

All info relating to the Denford Triac series of CNC milling machines

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

sweep
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

How do I get G code into the Triac's brain??

Post by sweep » Tue 10 Apr , 2007 13:59 pm

My machine is working ok and accepts various G code prompts from the keyboard on the machine front i.e. X,Y,Z feed, fast traverse, toolchange (super-cool!), absolute datum etc.
Firstly, as i understand that there are various versions (dialects?) of Gcode about, please advise what my machine will understand and what it wont; is there a list of viable G-codes for my machine?
Secondly, I have access to a cad/cam system that I can use courtesy of a mate who has a professional licence. I have made drawings on the system and generated the toolpaths using the cam side of the software, but how do I get the screen full of G-codes into the Triac and how much can I put in there etc?
The cam system, I understand, allows various modification of the G-code to suit individual machines so I will possibly be able to tailor it but the example I played with used Fanuc G-code.
I'm guessing that the answer is something to do with the RS232 cable but an idiot's guide would be appreciated.

Oh, for anyone who hasn't been following my previous mails, my machine is a Triac ATC from 1990

Thanks ...Richard

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Wed 11 Apr , 2007 12:13 pm

Theres no quick answer to this one :(

A lot of people have tried to get RS232 drip feed to their Triac - some like Roy seem to have even managed it:
viewtopic.php?t=756

As for the G-codes, keep the post processer simple - a Fanuc 6M or something similar that you can adjust to suit the Triac. It only wants to create G0 G1, G2 and G3 codes. Also bear in mind that the arcs are single quadrant only.

We have QuickCAM 2D, which is 2D CAD and CAM together - we've also done a post processor for the Triac PNC control

Roy
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
Hardware/Software: 1986 Triac modified & running Mach 3

Post by Roy » Wed 11 Apr , 2007 17:49 pm

I think there is a list of g codes for the triac in the manual in the downloads section. If not I can scan in the ones from my manual for my '86 triac. I guess they won't be much different from your 1990 model.

As for getting the programmes into the machine. I would reccomend you get yourself an old 486 computer which has a 25 way comms port and make up a cable for that, as I had absolutley no luck using the 9 way set up.
Then Install the industrial Text Editor programme, this works well for uploading and dripfeeding.

You may not be able to get the cam system to output exactly what you want and may require a little modding after posting, Like on mine I have to manually alter the feedrates to produce FZ when required.

Hope this helps
Roy

sweep
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by sweep » Thu 12 Apr , 2007 9:53 am

Thanks Guys.

Just a couple of things to get me started though...
I can borrow an old computer with the 25pin printer port but is there a wiring diagram anywhere so I can make up the cable?

Where do I find the Industrial Text Editor?

What does "bear in mind that the arcs are single quadrant only" mean?
Are you telling me that my wonderful high tech CNC will only cut straight lines? I was hoping to do fully profiled 3d shapes. Don't have anything in mind at the moment just like the idea of it :shock:

thanks ...Richard

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Thu 12 Apr , 2007 10:40 am

:!: Tip: do a search from the link at the top, and enter
industrial and text and editor
viewtopic.php?t=256

I'm sure the RS232 cable diagram is around here somewhere as well - there is also some relevant info on our website:
http://www.denford.ltd.uk/index.php?opt ... &Itemid=51
arcs are single quadrant only
means that you can only to arcs up to max of 90 degrees, so to do a CCW arc from 0 to 270 degrees would have to be made up of 3 arcs (3 o'clock to 12 o'clock; 12 to 9 o'clock; 9 to 6 o'clock)
if the CCW arc went from 1 o'clock to 11 o'clock, it would also have to be made up of 2 arcs (one to 12, then from 12 to 11) :shock:

I'm not sure if the machine can do 3D - it may only be able to interpolate in XY - but I don't know for sure ????