Triac controller

All info relating to the Denford Triac series of CNC milling machines

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

Ollie

Triac controller

Post by Ollie » Thu 04 Jan , 2007 15:14 pm

G'Day Guys.

I would like to refit my 85 built Triac mill (Ser# EO 2617/2, ELEC# 087) to run via a pc. Does anyone know the specs for the XYZ stepper motors (voltage, current etc...)?

If anyone has updated their machine controller to pc, any advice in the best way to do it (hardware and software) would be welcomed and appreciated

Cheers
Ollie

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Thu 04 Jan , 2007 17:54 pm

I'm sure triacwhizz has updated his Triac - try to Private Message him and he may answer back on here

Triac whizz
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by Triac whizz » Thu 04 Jan , 2007 19:05 pm

evening!

nah mine started life as a Fanuc :)

but from what I remember seeing posts around here etc, I think they're about 3Amp, 2.4volt. Actually the volts don't matter much cos you recycle the existing transformer :)

davidimurry has posted a diag to use the existing stepper drivers, otherwise get some geckos

then you need a breakout board, then you need a spindle speed control board (optional), then you want to control it all - I recommend Mach3.

Do all this and you qualifiy for your PhD in cnc :)
Self Catering Lodges in Central France with covered pool & large grounds
www.la-coterie.com

davidimurray
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by davidimurray » Thu 04 Jan , 2007 20:10 pm

Hi Guys

I think there is a secret army of retrofit Orac's and Triac's being built out there!! :P

I think the motors are either 3.1A or 3.8A. From memory you can see the motors for the Z and Y and they are unpainted so you should be able to read the specs - you might need a mirror though!

You could reuse the orignial drivers - However - the X and Y axis were only fitted with 2Amp SD2 drivers while the Z was fitted with a 3 Amp SD3. As a result there is the potential there to improve the X and Y performance. If you want to go down the old drivers route then the basic axis movement can be done for about the sum of 90p per axis + a breakout board. Re-wiring the limit switches, relays etc is a bigger job than getting the drives going.

Cheers

Dave