Axis drive motors

All info relating to the Denford Triac series of CNC milling machines

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

Wayne Ward
Hardware/Software: Triac and Orac - Mach 3

Axis drive motors

Post by Wayne Ward » Wed 06 May , 2015 18:54 pm

I'm on the verge of buying a 1990 Triac with the six-tool ATC; I'm just waiting for the seller, who is hundreds of miles away, to confirm that he and the machine really exist. I'm trying hard not to get scammed.

I've got an electrical engineer to help me when it gets here, but he is wondering about the axis drives after looking at the wiring diagrams:

The problem may be the other transformer – the Axis drives. This is producing 220V 3-phase, and feeding it to the 3 Axis drive unit (page 6). Without knowing more detail of this, I can’t tell whether it actually needs all 3 phases – oddly they go into it on terminals marked A, 1 and 2. It’s very likely that it rectifies all 3 to produce a DC rail, then powers the 3 drives from this DC rail. That being the case, we’re almost certainly fine to run it from a single phase and neutral.

Can anyone help with this query? Are the motors actually 220V three phase, or is this rectified to produce a "DC rail"?

It would save some time when (if) the machine arrives if I know the answer to this.

bishbosh
Hardware/Software: TRIAC FANUC OM-C
Serial TR29080 A
Manufactured Oct 1990
Control Serial 9112024

Re: Axis drive motors

Post by bishbosh » Thu 07 May , 2015 15:48 pm

Any photos of the machine?

I have a 1990 triac with 6 station ATC on Fanuc that is using servos not steppers.

Are yours the same?

If you are on servos then I would suggest that the 3 axis drive is 3 phase, as is the suds pump.

A lot of clever people (well cleverer than me!) looked at the electrickery and they all concluded that it had to be powered off 3 phase.

Wayne Ward
Hardware/Software: Triac and Orac - Mach 3

Post by Wayne Ward » Thu 07 May , 2015 20:12 pm

Worse than that, and by a massive coincidence, it is your machine that is being offered for sale.

This is what bishbosh and I discovered earlier today. A scammer, supposedly based on Unst in the Shetlands saved the pictures from an earlier ebay listing and is trying to scam people out of money on craigslist. It was from the original ebay listing that bishbosh bought his machine.

Only by spending a lot of time looking at these forums and happening across the same serial number did I realise that this was / is a scam in progress.

Bishbosh lives in south-west England, and is happily using his machine, about 1000 miles from where the scammer supposedly has the same machine in storage ready to ship.

TDIPower
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: Starturn 5 (sort of running, I will get this done!)
Lathe cam designer V1.11
Quickturn 2D Design
FANUC offline and online programs.
Microrouter Pro NS V5 (microstep)
VR2 and VR5
Boxford VMC260
Techsoft 2d Design tools V1 > V2
ProDesktop
Fusion 360
Deskproto

Post by TDIPower » Thu 07 May , 2015 21:54 pm

Ohh that's a nasty trick. I hope those that can do something about it have been informed.

Pete

angel-tech
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: .....
4 Quatros
3 Oracs
2 Easiturn atc
12 station lathe atc
Mach 3

Post by angel-tech » Fri 08 May , 2015 1:08 am

99.99999% of sellers in the scottish highlands are scammers, beware.