Pulling column off an early Triac - any tips?

All info relating to the Denford Triac series of CNC milling machines

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

neil_f
Hardware/Software: Triac

Pulling column off an early Triac - any tips?

Post by neil_f » Wed 02 Apr , 2014 23:12 pm

I'm picking an early all-green Triac up at the weekend and will need to get the column off the base so that I can fit the two resultant lumps into the back of my vehicle. Has anyone done this splitting operation before, and if so do they have any tips or a suggested plan of action?

I'm assuming the following:

1. Take both panels off the rear of the column to give access to internals.
2. Disconnect the oiler pipe/s at some point/s to isolate the column oil lines from the base.
3. Open the rear cover of the base tray/cabinet, trace all column cables back to their respective sockets on the circuit boards and unplug them.
4. Support the column lifting hooks with a suitable overhead sling (an engine crane is available).
5. Unscrew the six machine screws that hold the column to the base.
6. I understand there are also two roll pins that pass through the column's base flange into the base for registration purposes. Will these just pull out if I lift the column using the crane, leaving the base behind, or will I have to find some method to jack the column off the base?
7. I also see there are a couple of tight fitting looking tenons that locate the column square on the base - one at front and one at rear. Will these put up a fight too?
8. Anything I've forgotten?

As I say, if anyone has perfomed this operation previously I'd appreciate their comments.

Thanks,
-Neil.

angel-tech
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: .....
4 Quatros
3 Oracs
2 Easiturn atc
12 station lathe atc
Mach 3

Re: Pulling column off an early Triac - any tips?

Post by angel-tech » Thu 03 Apr , 2014 22:21 pm

rent a small van. £50 from most van hire places....sooooo much easier.

neil_f
Hardware/Software: Triac

Re: Pulling column off an early Triac - any tips?

Post by neil_f » Fri 04 Apr , 2014 17:36 pm

angel-tech wrote:rent a small van. £50 from most van hire places....sooooo much easier.
Trouble is I wouldn't be able to get the machine out when I got it home! My little engine crane is only rated to 175kg - it's a converted 'patient lifter' that's very compact and so is extremely useful even inside the workshop, but it has its limits.