Z axis problem

All info relating to the Denford Triac series of CNC milling machines

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

mandor2013
Hardware/Software: Triac, VRMilling.

Z axis problem

Post by mandor2013 » Sun 16 Mar , 2014 19:41 pm

I have a Triac with Next Move ST USB controller and the current VR Milling software. I am seeing what I think is a failure on the Z axis. Frequently the machine fails to home on the Z axis after connecting to the machine via VR Milling. The z axis position in the software increments continually (this is with the machine in the homed position for all axis). If I used the hidden home button instead I can move the X and Y axis but not the Z. Leaving the machine switched off for some time will temporarily cure the problem.

Does anyone recognise this issue? Am I seeing a failure in Z axis motor drive?
Also, are the driver boards identical on each axis? If so, presumably I can swap the board connections with another axis to try and narrow down the issue?

I have had the machine for a year now and have only just had the time to try some milling so this is quite furstrating....

Edward

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Re: Z axis problem

Post by Martin » Sun 16 Mar , 2014 21:40 pm

Yes the drives are the same so you should be able to use the secret home button to narrow down the fault.

mandor2013

Post by mandor2013 » Tue 18 Mar , 2014 15:22 pm

I was trying the machine again and a new symptom has appeared the spindle is descending of its own accord! No program running and no one near the keyboard. Does this point to a particular failure?

mandor2013

Post by mandor2013 » Fri 21 Mar , 2014 19:23 pm

I swapped the cards and the problem moved to the other axis so I am replacing the driver card.