All info relating to the Denford Triac series of CNC milling machines

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

John Panter
Hardware/Software: triac
mach3

Another 'Newby' wanting advice

Post by John Panter » Mon 24 Dec , 2012 12:59 pm

Gents (and ladies?)

Just setup my 1985 triac. An ex 'Rolls Royce' machine (serial 160458) converted to Mach3 control (build number 061). The seller explained a little about running the machine, and I have watched the series of Mach3 tutorials on the airsoft site. However, I already have some queries which you guys are likely to have the best advice about.
Firstly, I am reasonably happy controlling the triac with the mach3 excepting the spindle, I have checked levels in the auto lube pump, but was told to always 'warm up' the bearings before running any G code, but I am not sure the best way to do this. At the moment the spindle seems to start up very slowly, irrespective of speeds entered in the 'spindle speed section of mach3. After 10 minutes the rpm has not significantly increased and the spindle housing is getting hot; Q1. is there a best way to get the spindle to running temp, ready for g code?
Q2. Is it possible to obtain new concertina chip covers for this mill; if it is, where from?
Finally, I would like to get some extra collets for the 'EASYCHANGE' button release chuck; does anyone know the common name for this type of chuck or the name of (easily obtainable) equivelent fitting colletstype of collets.
Any help or advice would be greatfully received.

angel-tech
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: .....
4 Quatros
3 Oracs
2 Easiturn atc
12 station lathe atc
Mach 3

Re: Another 'Newby' wanting advice

Post by angel-tech » Mon 24 Dec , 2012 14:36 pm

i think i might know this machine.

I've pm'ed you my contact details.

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Re: Another 'Newby' wanting advice

Post by Denford Admin » Wed 02 Jan , 2013 10:00 am

Finally, I would like to get some extra collets for the 'EASYCHANGE' button release chuck; does anyone know the common name for this type of chuck or the name of (easily obtainable) equivelent fitting colletstype of collets.
Any help or advice would be greatfully received.
In my experience the EasyChange doesn't give a great surface finish and I'd prefer to clamp tools directly into the spindle taper. However it depends how often you are changing tools and what material you are cutting.
(for anyone else looking, some clarification of the collets has already been given here: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=3911)