Triac vs Novamill, which would you purchase ?

All info relating to the Denford Triac series of CNC milling machines

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

Iron-Man
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice
Hardware/Software: Modified NovaTurn with Yaskawa AC Servos +-10V, PathPilot running on a GizmoSphere 1 with Ibob2 PCIE interface that I designed. Denford Triac to be modified with AC Servos.

Triac vs Novamill, which would you purchase ?

Post by Iron-Man » Tue 10 Jul , 2012 22:02 pm

I have been searching for a Novamill for some time now. One has become available but I have also found an older Triac. I like the smaller size of the Novamill but the Z axis is very limited. I would like to know what are the real trade-offs of a Triac vs Novamill. I will be starting a retrofit to AC servo motors for a ( Novaturn / Triac or Novamill ). Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Iron-Man

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Re: Triac vs Novamill, which would you purchase ?

Post by Martin » Wed 11 Jul , 2012 5:54 am

Triac.

Spindle motor power.
Travel.

Lone_Ranger
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by Lone_Ranger » Sun 15 Jul , 2012 14:42 pm

Iron-Man wrote:I have been searching for a Novamill for some time now. One has become available but I have also found an older Triac. I like the smaller size of the Novamill but the Z axis is very limited. I would like to know what are the real trade-offs of a Triac vs Novamill. I will be starting a retrofit to AC servo motors for a ( Novaturn / Triac or Novamill ). Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Iron-Man
Definitely a Triac :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I have a friend who is currently well through the retro-fit of Misubishi 400 Watt AC Servos and 1.3Kw AC Servo for the Spindle, very nice job and it will of course be able to rigid tap with the setup he is using. Control software will be Mach3.

Motion Control card is a Galil 4 axis so all the servos are on a closed loop system at the Galil Motion card

The original casting is the slightly older Green one but it is in excellent condition, I should know, he bought it from me :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I`ll try and get some photos for you if you want or I will ask him if he wants to put them up himself to show off his project ! !

Regards
Rob
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Iron-Man
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice
Hardware/Software: Modified NovaTurn with Yaskawa AC Servos +-10V, PathPilot running on a GizmoSphere 1 with Ibob2 PCIE interface that I designed. Denford Triac to be modified with AC Servos.

Post by Iron-Man » Sun 15 Jul , 2012 18:13 pm

Lone_Ranger wrote:
Iron-Man wrote:I have been searching for a Novamill for some time now. One has become available but I have also found an older Triac. I like the smaller size of the Novamill but the Z axis is very limited. I would like to know what are the real trade-offs of a Triac vs Novamill. I will be starting a retrofit to AC servo motors for a ( Novaturn / Triac or Novamill ). Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Iron-Man
Definitely a Triac :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I have a friend who is currently well through the retro-fit of Misubishi 400 Watt AC Servos and 1.3Kw AC Servo for the Spindle, very nice job and it will of course be able to rigid tap with the setup he is using. Control software will be Mach3.

Motion Control card is a Galil 4 axis so all the servos are on a closed loop system at the Galil Motion card

The original casting is the slightly older Green one but it is in excellent condition, I should know, he bought it from me :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I`ll try and get some photos for you if you want or I will ask him if he wants to put them up himself to show off his project ! !

Regards
Rob
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Rob

I purchased the Triac.
I would definitely like to see pictures. I will be using LinuxCNC (EMC2). Allen Bradley servos and amps for the Triac and Yaskawa servos/amps for my Novaturn retrofit.

Thanks

Iron-Man