Spindle motor control

All info relating to the Denford Triac series of CNC milling machines

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

monkeybolt
Hardware/Software: Denford Triac Fanuc ATC

Spindle motor control

Post by monkeybolt » Mon 09 Apr , 2012 9:48 am

Hi Guys,

I'm slowly converting my Triac Fanuc to run with Mach3. I want to drive the spindle indpendantly from the controller for now, I just want forwards and stop. I'm a little unsure what I need to connect to achieve this. The drive board is a 1600i Sprint. Looking at the basic setup I can control the motor from a 10k pot. The motor has 3 sets of wires T1,T2 K1,K2 A1,A2. Can anyone confirm if T is for Tacho and K is for temperature (overheating)? Does it matter which way the Tacho is connected on the board?

I've wired it up as per the speed control circuit and it kind of worked, the pot control was ultra sensitive (I did not connect the tacho as it said optional). It run for a few seconds when I noticed arcing comming from the motor terminal block. I powered down and checked for loose wires etc. Do these motors arc from the brushes (SEM MT30U4-36) if they are worn? The machine is 1996 but from a college who used it a few hours max to make a chess set. It probably has not run for 10-15 years.

Any help most apprecated.

Mike

angel-tech
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: .....
4 Quatros
3 Oracs
2 Easiturn atc
12 station lathe atc
Mach 3

Re: Spindle motor control

Post by angel-tech » Mon 09 Apr , 2012 11:59 am

Normally all you need to do is enable the drive and adjust the pot. You may have used a log pot rather than a linear pot, that would make it very sensitive.

Enable should be connections 5 and 7

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Mon 09 Apr , 2012 17:45 pm

Did you swap switch 4 to AVF mode & not Tacho?

If you left it in Tacho mode then it will shoot off up to top speed looking for the feedback.

monkeybolt
Hardware/Software: Denford Triac Fanuc ATC

Post by monkeybolt » Mon 09 Apr , 2012 18:01 pm

Thanks for the replys, two things I have got wrong so far today!

The pot is a log type even though I specifically asked for a linear (Maplins :roll: ) although I suppose my fault for not checking.

I didnt realise I had to change the dip switches either that would explain the high speed. I'm going to try with the tacho next time and see what happens.

I'm more concerned by the sparks, any thoughts on that?

Cheers

Mike

angel-tech
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: .....
4 Quatros
3 Oracs
2 Easiturn atc
12 station lathe atc
Mach 3

Post by angel-tech » Mon 09 Apr , 2012 18:07 pm

you could leave it in circuit and just remove the speed feed. use a pot for the speed and operate the sgr (spindle go relay)