problems with triac fanuc atc

All info relating to the Denford Triac series of CNC milling machines

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

P.J.SAILS

problems with triac fanuc atc

Post by P.J.SAILS » Mon 01 Aug , 2011 22:44 pm

i have just recently brought a Triac fanuc atc, and have just finished wiring it up
I appear to have a problem , it keeps tripping out the workshop RCD (100ma) when i power up the control ,
When i turn on the yellow switch all the fans run , and the light cums on as well as the suds pump works , then i press the green button to power up the control , and straight away the rcd goes out .
Ive put a volt meter on the power supply it has 415 volts across the phases but it also has 415 volts across neutral and the phases . ( not good ) I . am running a phase converter , with sine wave and neutral creator, and have used this for the last
2 years on another cnc machine that requires the same spec of power supply with no problems.
i have disconnected the machine and checked the power supply all is great and as it should be with 240 across phase /neutral.
Ive spoken to the guy i bought the machine from , and his electrician, and they havent had any problems with the machine .
the machine sometimes starts up for a few seconds log enough to see something on the screen but then trips out., but while the screen is coming on ie the control system is loading one of the contactors ( dlch ) is rattling a lot , clearly not happy. is this connected ,
and the last time we tried it a contactor was heard dropping out , then the rcd shud the whole thing down .
ps we also have a red light on (esr) what ever that is .
any ideas .
peter
PETER WILES

keith dickinson

Re: problems with triac fanuc atc

Post by keith dickinson » Tue 02 Aug , 2011 16:29 pm

Hi, Is the neutral actually connected? Three phase motors don't usually need a neutral phase but if there are any single phase loads then one is needed. The neutral is connected to earth somewhere in an electrical supply and yours can't be connect if there is 400volts on it.

K Dickinson

Lone_Ranger
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by Lone_Ranger » Tue 02 Aug , 2011 16:40 pm

keith dickinson wrote:Hi, Is the neutral actually connected? Three phase motors don't usually need a neutral phase but if there are any single phase loads then one is needed. The neutral is connected to earth somewhere in an electrical supply and yours can't be connect if there is 400volts on it.

K Dickinson
Keith

The Neutral will likely be there for the spindle drive single phase in to a DC converter for the DC spindle motor, possibly some other peripherals like a LoVo light transformer.

I suspect it is probably more likely to be he has the Neutral and a phase crossed somewhere in the system !! Ouch !!

If so there could be damage to the either the Fanuc or the spindle drive depending on which phase the neutral was crossed with !! Not good !! Lets hope not !!

Regards
Rob

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Steve » Thu 04 Aug , 2011 14:15 pm

ESR is E-Stop Relay.

On most Fanuc systems there is a power check circuit board. As you connect the power this board energises and only when the power is good will it allow you to boot up the system.

This occurs when you press the green power button. It could shut down if there is a fault with the supply or the supply is being dragged down by a fault further into the fanuc system