Triac upgrade information required

All info relating to the Denford Triac series of CNC milling machines

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

keith dickinson

Triac upgrade information required

Post by keith dickinson » Thu 14 Jul , 2011 17:42 pm

Hi everyone, I'm thinking about buying a Triac and modifying the electronic. I already have a converted SeigX3 and would like to get rid of this for a more rigid Triac. My questions are;

Is the origional Triac fitted with stepper motors and are these OK to continue with?
Are there any serious issues with the basic Triac mechanics?
I would like to use the electronics I already have which contains 4 Gecko stepper drives (resistor programable up to 7A) and power supply. At the moment the interface is a 1st edition Deskcnc board with software but I may change this to run on Mach3, most people seem to run this these days. Will this setup be OK.
Any help would be good, finally what Triac should I look for on the second hand market?

Thank you all

Keith

angel-tech
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: .....
4 Quatros
3 Oracs
2 Easiturn atc
12 station lathe atc
Mach 3

Re: Triac upgrade information required

Post by angel-tech » Fri 15 Jul , 2011 9:11 am

I've converted quite a few Triacs, if you need any advice give me a ring.

Pm sent.

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Re: Triac upgrade information required

Post by Denford Admin » Mon 18 Jul , 2011 8:57 am

Depending on the age, I think the stepper motors could do with being updated to more modern / efficient ones if you intend zipping the axes around doing 3D work.
The only mechanical issue I'm aware of is the Z travel can be limiting due to a lot of it putting a tool below the surface of the table (even worse if an easychange holder is fitted) this post shows the issue: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=318&p=1117