Triac Spindle fault

All info relating to the Denford Triac series of CNC milling machines

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

Sam_Smith
Hardware/Software: Triac CNC

Triac Spindle fault

Post by Sam_Smith » Tue 03 May , 2011 19:02 pm

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, but have been using a Triac CNC mill for a couple of years now in my spare time. I've been very impressed with how solid the little machine is and what it can do even in standard form (it has no hardware or software upgrades).

However, recently the spindle stopped working after finishing a short program. There was an unusual audible beep at the split second between the spindle stopping and z-axis returning (M02). After that occasion the spindle motor does not even try to start spinning in either direction when commanded manually or in a program.
The program it ran was not ardious, and the spindle motor was not even warm which it has been in the past when operating at lower speeds for any length of time.

I've had a look at the main board and the Big relay, R2 does engage when the main power button is pressed, and the nearest aux relay clicks when spindle drive is attempted.

The 3 axis still works perfectly.

I've checked the 3 glass fuses on the main board, they all look fine.

I would be very grateful of any advice to further fault find this problem, or any suggestions as to what may have blown.

I'm not really sure of the year or model no. so for identification, i'm attaching some pics.

Many Thanks
Sam
Attachments
P1040236.JPG
P1040236.JPG (114.32 KiB) Viewed 2660 times
P1040235.JPG
P1040235.JPG (130.31 KiB) Viewed 2660 times
P1040233.JPG
P1040233.JPG (107.17 KiB) Viewed 2660 times

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Re: Triac Spindle fault

Post by Denford Admin » Wed 04 May , 2011 9:20 am

I think this manual will be relavant to your machine.
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=434
Sorry I'm not familiar with this vintage, but you're best finding out what the spindle drive type is and then searching here for the drive manual for status LED's / test points etc..

Sam_Smith
Hardware/Software: Triac CNC

Re: Triac Spindle fault

Post by Sam_Smith » Wed 04 May , 2011 23:12 pm

Many thanks!
I'll have a read through.