Upgrading A Triac Spindle Drive

All info relating to the Denford Triac series of CNC milling machines

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

jaycnc
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Upgrading A Triac Spindle Drive

Post by jaycnc » Sat 14 Aug , 2010 14:35 pm

Is it possible to upgrade the Fanuc controlled triac spindle drive to gain more power and torque from the original Lenze motor and Lynx drive card because there doesnt seem to be enough torque and power on the original drive.
Has anyone got any recomendations on replacment motors and drive cards and also at what cost please and how easy or hard is it to do if possible?

angel-tech
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: .....
4 Quatros
3 Oracs
2 Easiturn atc
12 station lathe atc
Mach 3

Re: Upgrading A Triac Spindle Drive

Post by angel-tech » Sat 14 Aug , 2010 19:41 pm

are you looking to keep the existing 4000rpm top speed, as an easy way to get more power would be to increase the pulley reduction to the spindle.

Triac whizz
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by Triac whizz » Sat 14 Aug , 2010 19:46 pm

I've looked at it in the past but due to lack of time done nothing, from memory the Fanuc kit is sending out 0 - 10volts so any frquency inverter that can be controller by that will do it, after that I guess the strngth of the column is the limit! If you do it post some shots
Self Catering Lodges in Central France with covered pool & large grounds
www.la-coterie.com

jaycnc
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by jaycnc » Sun 15 Aug , 2010 23:26 pm

After some investigation today it would seem that the old Fanuc motor was replaced with a Lenze motor thats got no guts in it as i can nearly stall it over its entire speed range :dumbfounded: .
Will have to spend some time digging in to this and see what i can come up with because its hardly going to be any use to me at this rate.

Triac whizz
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by Triac whizz » Mon 16 Aug , 2010 6:02 am

I don't think they ever fitter a fanuc spindle motor, mine cerrtainly doesn't have one
Self Catering Lodges in Central France with covered pool & large grounds
www.la-coterie.com

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Mon 16 Aug , 2010 9:05 am

Might be worth looking at this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=745

I also think we've never fitted a Fanuc spindle on the Triac - possibly because of the bearing reason.

jaycnc
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by jaycnc » Mon 16 Aug , 2010 11:32 am

That confuses things then because the books saying it had a Fanuc spindle drive :dumbfounded:

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Mon 16 Aug , 2010 11:36 am

Photos of the cabinet and motor might help in that case.

It could be that the drive is not setup properly for the replacement motor (if that's what has been done)

jaycnc
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by jaycnc » Mon 16 Aug , 2010 18:52 pm

The motor thats on is a Lenze and run off a Lynx 08 board and some time ago it blew the thyristor and went away for repair where i told the company not to alter the pots but they altered one (if not more by the looks of it) so weve been having to play with the settings but cant get it where we have torque without loosing response or stability so im open to ideas but i suspect i wont get a great deal of torque out of the lenze motor?

jaycnc
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by jaycnc » Sat 28 Aug , 2010 22:54 pm

Just thought id drop a quick update on things.
Iv been playing with this drive for the last week and to be honest a pig has more grunt :roll: .
Iv tried to find a motor thats got more grunt behind it but im struggling where frame size comes in to play until it hit me about using a tread mill motor si iv managed to track a few down that all have the same frame size there abouts and range from 180v dc to 240v dc with 1.5 to 2 hp but does anyone know if these will be ok to try on the Lynx board or can you for see any problems i may have??

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Tue 31 Aug , 2010 11:46 am

The LYNX series of DC motor speed controllers are designed for efficient speed
control of conventional wound-field and permanent magnet motors in the .55 to
7.5kW range. .
The series consists of 3 models each capable of 220/240 volt or 380/440 volt 50-
60Hz supply operation.
The drives are designed to run different types of DC motor so it should be ok if the ratings are correct.
I'd read through the manual and double check you can configure it to the new motor:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1666&hilit=lynx

jaycnc
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by jaycnc » Sat 04 Sep , 2010 15:56 pm

Denford Admin wrote:
The LYNX series of DC motor speed controllers are designed for efficient speed
control of conventional wound-field and permanent magnet motors in the .55 to
7.5kW range. .
The series consists of 3 models each capable of 220/240 volt or 380/440 volt 50-
60Hz supply operation.
The drives are designed to run different types of DC motor so it should be ok if the ratings are correct.
I'd read through the manual and double check you can configure it to the new motor:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1666&hilit=lynx

Thanks for that info it does look like we can get away with it so thats good 8) .

Does anyone know where i can get a small tachometer to fit to the motor so i can run it in Tacho feed back rather than armature volt feedback please?????