Cassette tapes

All info relating to the Denford Triac series of CNC milling machines

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

Robin Rhodes
Hardware/Software: 1985 TRIAC

Cassette tapes

Post by Robin Rhodes » Tue 06 Jul , 2010 9:20 am

Hi, I have just acquired a 1985 TRIAC which seems to be working OK but has no tapes. Can anyone help with sourcing them? Robin Rhodes

alanhende

Re: Cassette tapes

Post by alanhende » Tue 13 Jul , 2010 16:19 pm

Hi Robyn,
Did you get the tape I sent you & did it work?
I can repair the cassette unit if its not working or I could supply a refurbished service exchange unit.

Alan

Robin Rhodes
Hardware/Software: 1985 TRIAC

Post by Robin Rhodes » Tue 13 Jul , 2010 17:02 pm

Hi Alan

Thanks for the tape: still no success.

The cassette seems to be working to some extent but I don't think correctly. When trying to record the tape moves intermittently at about 1/2 second intervals. The tape is not in the best of condition but I tried on parts that seemed better with no difference.

I have also been trying to get the RS232 link working using the Denford Industrial Text Editor. Again no success. Some data seems to pass but then stops.

So all in all I am not sure what to do. The long term plan was to switch to Mach3 but I have some work I need to do first.

The plug in replacement for the cassette is interesting but I doubt if there is much of a market for it as most people seem to be going Mac3. Is it possible to use USB Memory Stick memory? I assume that would open up the data transfer possibilities.

So I am sat here scratching my head.

Robin

alanhende

Post by alanhende » Thu 15 Jul , 2010 12:48 pm

Hi Robyn,
I can repair the cassette unit. The USB idea is a non starter.
Im not familiar with the Denford text editor. I use 'Coolterm' which is free on the web. From what I can remember when I used to test these things, the controller must see an <STX> then the command/program then<ETX>

So for example you were typing a single move block you would type Ctrl+B then G01X100 then Ctrl+C.
Also, have you checked the test mode to make sure the serial port is working?

Alan