Triac Fanuc OM-B Memory Upgrade

All info relating to the Denford Triac series of CNC milling machines

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

Brycam

Triac Fanuc OM-B Memory Upgrade

Post by Brycam » Wed 13 May , 2009 19:41 pm

Hi Guys,

Having recently sorted the comms to my machine I very quickly found out just how little data I can hold in the control, around 250 lines!! I am planning to drip feed for 3D stuff but I dont wanna be doing this for everything. Does anyone have any info regarding memory upgrades ie is it difficult, is it expensive and is it worth it?

Cheers, Bry :D

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Thu 14 May , 2009 8:46 am

Triac_whizz is the man to ask...

viewtopic.php?t=443&highlight=fanuc+memory

Lone_Ranger
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Re: Triac Fanuc OM-B Memory Upgrade

Post by Lone_Ranger » Fri 15 May , 2009 0:08 am

Brycam wrote:Hi Guys,

Having recently sorted the comms to my machine I very quickly found out just how little data I can hold in the control, around 250 lines!! I am planning to drip feed for 3D stuff but I dont wanna be doing this for everything. Does anyone have any info regarding memory upgrades ie is it difficult, is it expensive and is it worth it?

Cheers, Bry :D
No, it isn`t difficult but you do need the right instructions, can be very expensive so do lots of "shopping around"!

The maximum memory supported by Fanuc O (T or M) B mainboard is 128K which for a Lathe is OK but you could struggle on a Mill, most mills need a minimum of 256K!!!

You can cut down your code by using as many canned cycles as possible and also setting your Post Processor to output your code without any block/line numbers and any trailing zeros, and if pocketing run one level and then use an M98 to repeat at a new Z, that will save lots of code!!

I got 128K for my Lathe from a dealer in the USA for $80 ( 4 x 32K chips) which was around £50 at the time, I don`t know if they have any more but you could try emailing them, here is a link to their website.
http://www.kfasllc.com/

Possibly "Triac Whizz" will have some, follow the link in the previous Post.

Regards
Rob

:) :) :) :) :)

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Fri 15 May , 2009 8:31 am

Its worth trying http://www.pennineuk.com/ - give them a ring and ask for Neil - they certainly used to have some stock of old RAM chips

Brycam

Post by Brycam » Mon 18 May , 2009 18:10 pm

Thanks for the pointers guys, unfortunately the car needs an expensive repair so the upgrade will have to wait for a while... :cry: :cry:

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Tue 19 May , 2009 8:55 am

These won't break the bank:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Samsung-62256-32k ... 7C294%3A50

Check with triac_whizz if you need 64K (6264) or 256K(62256) RAM ?

Mr Magoo
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Mr Magoo » Tue 19 May , 2009 21:16 pm

A word of warning :!:
When you upgrade the memory you will loose all your CNC programs, tool offsets and PARAMETER and DIAGNOSTIC settings!

Make sure you save all your parameters (you can do this out of the RS232 port), write down parameters 900 to 930, and diagnostics 450 to 470 (these don't get saved via RS232) before you start.

Then it can be a bit of a pain getting them back in again but you'll get plenty of help here :D

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Wed 20 May , 2009 9:41 am

Thought I'd seen a tip on backing up 900 params as well (hold down EOB while pressing output, to send them to RS232):
viewtopic.php?t=391&highlight=900+parameters

Mr Magoo
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Mr Magoo » Wed 20 May , 2009 12:34 pm

Great tip about backing up the 900 params - I whish I'd known that 10 years ago
Hang on - I'm quoting myself here. Alzimers is kicking in

Brycam

Post by Brycam » Fri 22 May , 2009 10:17 am

Right thats the memory modules orderd :D :D thanks for the link, I was expecting to have to pay a lot more than that!!!

Hoping they may turn up tomorrow but will probably be next week. Thanks for the offer of support Mr Magoo, will be taking you up on that for sure! Gonna have a go at backing up the parameters etc now...

Brycam

Post by Brycam » Sat 23 May , 2009 21:38 pm

Good news, my memory modules have turned up :D :D thanks Admin!!

Now, what the hell do I do next!!! (please dont be afraid to explain it to me like I am an idiot...) :doh:

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Tue 26 May , 2009 9:26 am

Message triac_whizz for instructions and hopefully photos !
I wouldn't want to try do this from my 10 year old memories...

Triac whizz
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by Triac whizz » Fri 29 May , 2009 21:33 pm

what's going on? have I missed something? :lol:

Gawd it's been a while since I even turn the triac on let alone added memory...

yes back up params, check you can read them, check against the machine that they are all there, print them out, put a copy in a safe deposit box, get the idea?

Then the diagnostics, can't remember how they're shot out to backup... :? Do the same with these.

Also save any programs/offsets

Turn of machine crowbar out the card & hammer in the extra lumps, I don't know with a OM-B but a C has 4 holes, I'm sure these go in the same way around as all the other irrelevant chips.

Then put it back together. There are supposed to be a few vital params you can hand enter ie, the comms params but it never worked for me and I can't remember what they are. So you could be in for an hours work bashing in the numbers....
I seem to remember they stay until change you memory parameter.

if in doubt swear
Self Catering Lodges in Central France with covered pool & large grounds
www.la-coterie.com

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Tue 18 Sep , 2012 8:58 am

Good news, my memory modules have turned up thanks Admin!!
Just looking back for some info on the memory chips...what size did you buy ? the 64K or 256K ?

Lone_Ranger
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by Lone_Ranger » Tue 18 Sep , 2012 9:20 am

Denford Admin wrote:
Good news, my memory modules have turned up thanks Admin!!
Just looking back for some info on the memory chips...what size did you buy ? the 64K or 256K ?
Would have to have been 64K (2 x 32K) or 128K (4 x 32K) as Fanuc 0 (M or T) Series main board will only support a maximum of 128K, fine for Lathes but rubbish for a Mill, I used to have to drip feed my Mills with Fanuc 0-M.

Another thing about the 0 series, a chunk of the memory is used to run things in the machine, I think if memory serves it`s about 12K/14K as I remember only having around 48~50K of usable memory on my 0-M machines.

Regards
Rob