Saving Triac data via Industrial Text Editor???

All info relating to the Denford Triac series of CNC milling machines

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

Grant_robochallenge

Saving Triac data via Industrial Text Editor???

Post by Grant_robochallenge » Thu 22 Jan , 2009 17:40 pm

Hi,
I recently posted regarding RS232 cable pin layouts and post-processors for BobCAD/CAM.
I have just got round to making the cables, and downloaded the Denford Industrial Text Editor to save the programs into.
The Triac is a 1985 machine, which i believe is running off the denford software.

I am Having problems with transfering the data from the triac into the program. Below is how i wired the RS232 up from the diagrams given.

7-PIN DIN,

2 - 0v common
6 - Data from Triac
7 - Data to Triac
( i think thats how it went, its the same as the manual anyway)

9-pin Serial,

7 - 0v common
2 - Data from Triac
3 - Data to Triac.

I have also tried the other pin layout on the 9-pin serial,

7 - 0v common
3 - Data from traic
4 - Busy Line

I tested the machines side of things by turning on the Triac, turning on drives, and shorting pins 2 and 3 on the serial port and the signal was proved to be working.

As i am using a new laptop i have connected this cable via a 9-pin serial to USB connector, and installed it as a Serial port, and set it to COM1.

In the Editor software, i have set the config-settings to PNC.CFG, and the Install-comms the same. I've also set it to read from COM1 port.

Does this sound correct so far?

When trying to send a program from the triac to the Editor software, i have clicked to recieve program on Editor, and save program via data link on the triac. Both systems go to a screen, the Editor saying Recieving, and the Triac saying its sending - but nothing actually happens.

There appears to be some communication though as when i cancel the recieving in editor the triac returns back to the previous menu when using the first Pin configuration above. Using the second configuration i appear to get no communication between the two.

Is this the correct method?

I only need to do this part so i can send a copy of the program to BobCAD to produce a post-processor for the Triac. Does anybody had a raw copy (only needs to be short) of a program they could pass onto me that i could forward onto BobCAD please? I belive the main thing they need are the start-up codes and end codes etc specific to this machine.

The main thing is, will this method of connecting to the laptop work when i have the Post-processor? I dont see how it wouldnt, but with it not working with the denford software I am unsure.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Grant

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Fri 23 Jan , 2009 9:56 am

The main thing that jumps out at me is the fact you're using a USB serial device on a laptop. To get things proven out, I'd try it with "proper" serial hardware from a desktop PC first as I wouldn't trust the USB/Serial convertor.
We've always had problems with these devices, and I vaguely remember putting the scope on the signals out of one of these once and found the signal voltages were too low. I'd also be worried that the laptop could be causing problems as well - they tend to have battery saving features in the BIOS which will shut down USB ports or lower the available current to them.