CNC Expert
CNC Expert
Hardware/Software: Denford Cyclone P
EMCO PC Mill 100
Solidworks 2018
SimSolid

Lube pump question?

Post by SimonRafferty » Tue 21 Oct , 2008 0:25 am

Does it run continuously, or just when the axis / spindle are running?

I need to know for my mach conversion. I had originally assumed that it ran continuously - but it's actually controlled by the PNC3. I need to know how it normally behaves in order to automate it.

Any help will be much appreciated!

Si

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Tue 21 Oct , 2008 6:11 am

Hi Simon,

Yes the lube pump was activated by the spindle running. You can adjust the amount of oil by altering the stroke.

SimonRafferty
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
EMCO PC Mill 100
Solidworks 2018
SimSolid

Post by SimonRafferty » Tue 21 Oct , 2008 9:11 am

Thanks Martin.

Where do you adjust the stroke? In the pump itself?

Si

Roy
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
Hardware/Software: 1986 Triac modified & running Mach 3

Post by Roy » Tue 21 Oct , 2008 19:16 pm

Hi Simon,

I am converting my Triac to Mach 3 at the moment. Do I have to wire the lube pump up separatley. I had assumed it was part of the spindle drive circuit?

Thanks Roy

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Tue 21 Oct , 2008 19:21 pm

We fitted two different lube pumps back then. It will have either a round silver handle on the top of the plunger or a black plastic handle.

If it is the one with the silver top to the plunger you can adjust the stroke by turning the screw that is inside the plunger. You will need to remove the grub screw first that covers the screw. I think it is a 3mm allen key that fits. It can be hard to get out but is the hole in the centre of the handle.

If it is the one with the black plastic handle there will be a collar on the cylinder. It has a grub screw to lock it in position but you will be able to adjust the collar to allow a shorter or longer stoke therefore which will then decrease or increase the flow rate.

SimonRafferty
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
EMCO PC Mill 100
Solidworks 2018
SimSolid

Post by SimonRafferty » Tue 21 Oct , 2008 22:55 pm

Don't know how 'standard' it is, but after a bit of cable tracing I found that the lube pump relay is just wired to come on with the main power - so it runs all the time.

I scored a 15" touch screen on eBay. Going to make a new front panel for the PNC3 box housing the monitor and MPG's.

Conversion just about done now. Going to convert the tool changer to use a stepper motor I think. Mach understands steppers and home switches more than DC motors and BCD position encoders.

Si