All info relating to the Denford Triac series of CNC milling machines

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

davidimurray
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Triac Keyboard problems

Post by davidimurray » Fri 15 Aug , 2008 22:07 pm

Hello everyone

A few weeks ago I posted about the problems we were having with out poor Triac at work. Well, our electrical guys did a fantastic job and got the monitor working again. But so far no luck on the keyboard.

One of our electrical whizzes has stripped the membrane keyboard and is currently working on tracing the membrane so we can make a replacement keyboard.

Can some kind soul please offer me a complete list of all the codes displayed against each of the keys pressed while in the keyboard test mode as it would save an enormous amount of work.

Cheers

Dave

davidimurray
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by davidimurray » Tue 19 Aug , 2008 15:21 pm

Hello again

Sorry to bother you guys again but I was wondering if anyone could help me with my last request.

If anyone would be kind enough to sit down in front of their PNC triac for 10 minutes, go into the keybaord test mode, then write down a list of the keys pressed against the codes displayed on screen.

The guys here are working really hard to try and fix out old machine, when they it means that we will be able to offer other users the circuit diagrams for a replacement switch panel.

Cheers

Dave

rasp
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by rasp » Tue 19 Aug , 2008 16:48 pm

Hi Dave,

how do I go into test mode, if it works I will get you the codes

Graham.

davidimurray
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by davidimurray » Wed 20 Aug , 2008 8:51 am

Hello

Thanks for the offer of help.

You should be able to get into the keyboard test by turning the machine on, then BEFORE turning the drives on and running abs datum, press the CCLW key. You should not get a blank display with a hexadecimal number on. As you press each key, this number should change. You can get out of the test by pressing cycle stop.

I have a manual with details of the electronics system and the tests that can be perfomred on PDF if you'd like a copy.

Thanks for your help

Cheers

Dave

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Wed 20 Aug , 2008 9:35 am

I think you can press & hold any key as you are powering up the control.

Matt
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by Matt » Wed 20 Aug , 2008 13:49 pm

The numbers work there way down, then across. So button 7 produces the number 1. Button 4 produces a 2. Button 1 a 3. Button 0 a 4. Then the next row, button 8 an 5, button 5 a 6, button 2 a 7 and so on across the pad.

The buttons that aren't used (nothing on them) still produce a number so include this in the numbering. Therefore "Feed over ride" is 51. There is no button under the tool icon in "direction", so up is 49 and down is 50.

The end is a bit different so:

Forward 56
Reverse 61
Off 59
+ 62
Cycle start 63
Single stop 64

The stop and start buttons didn't produce a number.
Architectural Model Maker www.matthewwood.co.uk

davidimurray
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by davidimurray » Thu 21 Aug , 2008 15:40 pm

Hi Matt

Thanks for your help, it is great.

Our guys have currently stripped the membrane keypad into its component layers and have traced each track which has shown up an interesting method of connecting some of the lines. When i left yesterday they had just made a breakout board and were using pin jumpers to work thorugh the potential combinations on the machine so they will be able to allocate these to a new keyboard.

I will let everyone know if we find a solution.

Cheers

Dave

davidimurray
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by davidimurray » Sat 30 Aug , 2008 11:23 am

Hello

Just a quikc update, we have cracked the keyboard matrix and can now access all the keys again, currently we are doing this using two headers and connecting jumpers across so it's not ideal, but it works!

We are now looking at replacement keyboard options. Our current idea is to use a syandard PS2 keyboard by building a small interface unit.

Cheers

Dave

cncbasher
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by cncbasher » Thu 04 Sep , 2008 8:35 am

Dave ,

Have you documented the layout of the matrix as regards the connections to the header etc ?

i have a usb keyboard application , i was thinking of mapping the keys back to a standard USB keyboard that can then be plug'd into a pc , so preserving the front panel on the Triac

regards
Dave

davidimurray
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by davidimurray » Thu 04 Sep , 2008 10:07 am

Yes, we have a map of all the keys and values related to the connections on the board.

We are planning to use a PAK-VIa (http://www.awce.com/pak6.htm_ to read a standard PS2 keyobard input, which is then passed by RS232 to a PIC that creates emulated pulses for the Triac.

Cheers

Dave

cncbasher
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by cncbasher » Thu 04 Sep , 2008 10:42 am

Dave ,

it's possible to go from a ps2 keyboard directly into a pic so you would not need the keyboard to rs232 emulator , if you need any source code let me know , what your guys write in either assembler or c etc and i'll sort some out for you if it helps

if you have the mapping available could i please have a copy etc

Dave

davidimurray
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by davidimurray » Fri 05 Sep , 2008 14:51 pm

Hello

Try this for size. A big thanks to Paul and the guys at work for working all this out.

Cheers

Dave
Attachments
Keyboard matrix.doc
(78.5 KiB) Downloaded 753 times

davidimurray
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by davidimurray » Sat 06 Sep , 2008 10:00 am

More info courtesy of Paul.

Cheers

Dave