Triac: Retrofit Lenze spindle drive

All info relating to the Denford Triac series of CNC milling machines

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

niftylittlebleeder

Triac: Retrofit Lenze spindle drive

Post by niftylittlebleeder » Thu 17 Jul , 2008 23:20 pm

I'm refitting a 1990 Triac with Mach 3. I'm looking to fit Rutex drives on frame 23 size servo's - using a Bob Campbell breakout board and Peter Homann ModIO to drive the ATC.

My first problem I've run in to is that I'm trying to wire up the Lenze spindle drive (VFD) to the 0-10v analog output on the Campbell board.
As far as I can tell (from the Triac service manual), on the low voltage side, the Lenze has around 3 key inputs/outputs for control: 0v, 0-10v input, and 10v output. It also has tachometer output (2 wires) and thermistor input (2 wires).
On the high voltage side it has 240v L and N inputs, and output of L & N going to a double pole relay.

I've scanned 8 pages on 'spindle drive' on the Denford forum and can't find anything on retrofitting a Triac with an existing Lenze VFD, so help requested...

I would have thought that simply wiring from the 10v output across to the 0-10v input low voltage pins would energise the drive and set the spindle to max revs - but it doesn't do anything.

All I can think of is the following:

The ATC toolchanger isn't retracted and a proximity switch therefore isn't activated.
A limit switch is tripped, or no guard in place has set an estop

I'm not sure if there is any mechanism within the Lenze drive which prevents energising the spindle drive unless certain inputs have been achieved. I can only see the thermistor - and this certainly isn't hot.

When I first switched on the mill, the spindle rotated at very low revs, but now I've removed some wires ready for the refit, it's stopped doing that.

Anyone any ideas?

I have disconnected all the stepper motors SD1 / 2 etc. (anyone who wants thes is welcome bye the way - I also have other Triac control items I'm happy to supply - I hate these things to go to waste if someone out there needs them!). This couldn't be the source of problem. There is a wire pair out of the stepper motor motherboard - these are not power in OR stepper motor wires out - not sure what these do, perhaps drive estop.

Also, there is a toroidal transformer that supplies the steppers with A/C power - now disconnected but also has a grey/blue wire pair out to something else - I'm hoping to remove this transformer as I'm fitting a 70v 800Kva supply (6" across) , anyone know what this wire pair does?

Any help would be much appreciated. SneakyM8 has helped me with the Rutex drive and proximity connections, but he uses a different spindle drive - not the Lenze.

Other info..I put multimeter on the 10v output and it registers 8.6v between this and the 0v. This crossed to the 0-10v input drops to 6.5v but no output from drive.

Any ideas much appreciated.

bradders
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

LENZE Spindle Drive Manual

Post by bradders » Fri 18 Jul , 2008 10:12 am

NLB,

I hope this is the correct manual ? Having trouble up loading the PDF, i will try and get it sorted

viewtopic.php?t=1676&highlight=lenze
Last edited by bradders on Wed 30 Jul , 2008 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

niftylittlebleeder

Post by niftylittlebleeder » Tue 29 Jul , 2008 20:56 pm

Hi Bradders,

I didn't get the manual actually, but I think I have solved the Lenze drive problem.
There is a wiring diagram in the Triac ATC manual (this is in the downloads section and may be the one you were going to point me to anyway).
The Lenze drive appears to be 240v controlled by 3 wires; 0v (Violet), 0 - 10v (Black) and 10v out (White). It seems as if the 0v from the main pcb is required else the spindle motor 'pulses'.
I'm goint to connect this to the Bob Campbell board to supply the 0 - 10v analog signal controlled by Mach3.
The Lenze drive has three relays which provide Fwd , Rev, On/Off.

Cheers, John

bradders
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by bradders » Wed 30 Jul , 2008 10:39 am

John,

Manual is there now

viewtopic.php?t=1676&highlight=lenze